Configuring sounddevices 302 up to a canon xh a1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 7th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #16
Major Player

I've used this set-up once or twice and it seems to work fine.
I very often use the 302 with my Fostex FR2 LE as well.
Give it a try and see what you think.
Old January 7th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I agree with Petri it works fine, just remember to wind both A1 pots up (down) before you go back to the A1 mic inputs.

Anyone know if Canon fixed any of this on the A1s?

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #18
New Boot

Don't want to lose this thread

This is my first forum; I'm just learning. This thread seems to head towards answering a problem I face. I'm want to record sound on the XHA1 with phantom powered XLR mics. I also want to avoid the camera's preamps by using an audio mixer ... reasoning that the preamps found in a mixer are better than the ones in the camera. Also normal audio mixers have some features I like. When I recorded, however, the ouput from the mixer to the camera line input was too low, while the mixer output to a backup digital recorder was too high. So, I suspect the camera audio is bad and the backup audio may also be bad. I gathered from reading posts that the 302 could adjust the line output level to accomodate the XHA1 and was on the verge of buying one ... now I see that maybe it ain't so. What's the solution???
Bill Warne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 03:46 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Vaughn View Post
I just got my 302 mixer to use with my XH-A1 and I wonder if anyone else is turning up the mic inputs all the way on the camera?

I just spoke to a Sound Devices tech at the factory and he gave different instructions. Personally, I'd like to bypass the Canon preamps entirely, by turning the mic inputs up all the way it doesn't seem like that would happen.

Other suggestions?
Did you read my post just above yours????

I turn the pots all the way open and get over 90 dB S/N ratio. And so does everybody who is bold enough to do so.

Maybe those pots are ATTENNUATORS when used with line-in. Would make perfect sense.

XH-A1 and SD302 is a match made in heaven: run everything at factory settings with SD302, turn pots fully open on XH-A1: PERFECT. What could be easier.

I have been trying to get this message thru for years...
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 03:49 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Warne View Post
I gathered from reading posts that the 302 could adjust the line output level to accomodate the XHA1 and was on the verge of buying one ... now I see that maybe it ain't so. What's the solution???
SD302 puts out the industry standard levels, and when XH-A1 pots are fully open they match perfectly. No need to tweak anything.

Read my posts above...
Old February 9th, 2009, 03:57 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Warne View Post
When I recorded, however, the ouput from the mixer to the camera line input was too low, while the mixer output to a backup digital recorder was too high.
Petri seems to have said everything that can be said on this issue. The SD302 works fine with the Canon XHA1.
I don't know what kind of digital recorder you are using Bill but I imagine that it will expect a different input level to the XHA1.
Old February 9th, 2009, 05:58 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
I agree with Petri it works fine, just remember to wind both A1 pots up (down) before you go back to the A1 mic inputs.

Anyone know if Canon fixed any of this on the A1s?

Cheers.
Is something broken? If the max audio level with XH-A1 line ins is the same as industry standard line out output level, they are a perfect match out-of-the-box and that is the way it should be! There is no need for further alignment, just turn those darn pots open! There is absolutelly no need for higher levels on Xh-A1, as all level setting is done with the mixer and the camera copies the levels exactly as they are. There should never be 2 places to adjust the same thing!
Old February 9th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #23
New Boot

Setting line level on XH-A!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gooderick View Post
Petri seems to have said everything that can be said on this issue. The SD302 works fine with the Canon XHA1.
I don't know what kind of digital recorder you are using Bill but I imagine that it will expect a different input level to the XHA1.
Richard, thanks for the response. When I record audio without video I've been using a Phonic MU 1202 mixer (sometimes a Mackie 802-VLZ3) into a Roland Edirol R-09HR. The sound seems great to me ... though I'm not a musician. I prefer the Phonic because it has a 1/8 inch stereo out that allows direct connection to the R-09HR with a 1/8 inch patch cord. The 1/8 inch out also has a trimmer to adjust the output level; though it does not seem to have a huge effect.

Saturday night I was videoing a concert with the above setup and a Rode NT-4 stereo mic, feeding the XHA1 XLR line in from the Phonic's main out. The XHA1 was set 1 mark from full open (I was concerned with distortion, which I know now was incorrect). Upon a cursory review of the video on a Sony GV-HD700, the sound seemed quite low. When I downloaded the audio from the R-09HR the waveform appeared to be clipped. By any chance do you know if the Phonic or the Mackie (i.e. a standard audio mixer) is able to provide a sufficiently high line out to achieve good sound on the AHA1? I've read somewhere on this board that the values of audio and video line differ. I'm seriously considering a 302 though I have a greater comfort level using a regular soundboard.
Bill Warne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #24
Major Player

Hi Bill
I'm sorry, I don't know anything about the Mackie. I do know that if I feed my SD32 into my Fostex FR2 LE recorder that I have to adjust the setting to suit the recorder.
You need someone who understand sound more than I do to give you a sensible answer.
Old February 9th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petri Kaipiainen View Post
Is something broken?
I meant did Canon fix the A1 reversed faders problem (the down is up thing) on the A1S..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petri Kaipiainen View Post
If the max audio level with XH-A1 line ins is the same as industry standard line out output level, they are a perfect match out-of-the-box and that is the way it should be! There is no need for further alignment, just turn those darn pots open! There is absolutelly no need for higher levels on Xh-A1, as all level setting is done with the mixer and the camera copies the levels exactly as they are. There should never be 2 places to adjust the same thing!
Fully agree with you Petri.

For others: a way to test this is, on the A1 record its -12db 1kH test tone for 10 sec. Set the 302 feeding its -12db tone to your A1. Then record that, another 10secs right after the first on the A1, (line in with both faders FULL open)

When I play my tape back there's about 1/2db difference in level. The 302 is 1/2db down ... works for me.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio