Digital Audio Recorders at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 5th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Digital Audio Recorders

Found quite a few posts regarding video sync issues with the Zoom H4, just wondering if anyone has experience with the Sony PCM-D50? Or can recomend a similar stand-alone recorder in the $500 range without a video sync issue. Thanks.
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:23 PM   #2
Major Player

For what it's worth I had an H4 but sold it and bought a Fostex FR2 LE when I had the opportunity to try one out on a sound recording course.
I've found it to be a better recorder for my needs. It's a lot bigger though.
It's stayed in sync for up to an hour.
Old September 5th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #3
Major Player

I have a Sony PCM-D50.
I use it as my double system audio recorder for Sunday Services.
So a recording session is typically 60 - 75 minutes.

Besides being a big upgrade from camcorder sound, it stays in sync very well.
I am very happy with mine. The fact that a set of 4 regular AA batteries will
last over 10 hours is a great bonus.

I have no regrets.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I can second that, the D50 is great. The manual says the max size external card is 4G but
it can accomodate 8G. The internal mics are good enough, limiter is unusual but it works a treat.

But its companion Sony XLR adaptor has problems. My guess is it's made for the Sony PCM D1, the bigger brother of the D50, 'cause there are some hassles coupling it to the D50.

They sit side by side on the XLR adaptor base plate with the D50 sitting on the right of the adaptor, but they're too close. You can't access any of the controls on the left side of the D50 nor the low cut nor the limiter on/off switches which are under the D 50 and you can't plug headphones in. Bugger.

The 2nd option is to mount the XLR adaptor under the D50, same problem with those 2 switches and there's no tripod thread mount under the adaptor. Bugger.

The good news is you have 2 XLR inputs into the D50 with lovely 48volts available. Or you could run 2 dynamic mics, or radio mics.

I think enough of it to remodel the base plate.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Sony PCM-D50

Thanks for the input, guys.

Since I'll be using mainly the on-board mics and line-in to patch into DJ boards (they actually prefer RCA) I'm leaning toward the D50 (sans XLR adapter). Seems like a great unit at that price range.
Old September 8th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #6
DVCreators.Net

Hi Kevin,

I tested it and found the noise floor to be very low using the built-in mics. It's amazing clean compared to any small digital recorder we have tested. When I plugged a Countryman lav into it, I wasn't as impressed - a bit of hiss. We offer the PCM-D50 with a 5% discount for dvinfo.net members too at http://www.dvcreators.net/the-sony-pcm-d50/
Coupon code is "dvinfo", oh yeah, and I'd suggest the little K-TEK topper for wind protection if you're going to be moving around-even indoors with any air movement the mics will sound like they're getting pummeled. I personally pack around an Edirol R-09 for personal stuff because it is so light, but if I were doing VO or anything serious, I would absolutely use the Sony PCM-D50.
Old October 11th, 2008, 05:18 AM   #7
Major Player

I've been looking at the D50 and D1 lately. Unless you need the titanium for battlefield conditions, the only reason I can find to use a D1 is for highest quality live music recording. Any other considerations that would make it worth 3x the price?
Philip Fass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio