peak vu analogue RMS dbFS PPM ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. . . - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 7th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
At any rate, so you're suggesting running tone to the camera at -18 instead of 20? I'll try that.

As far as upping the master output on the mixer, I thought the idea of unity gain (the place where the master output on the mixer wants to be set) was that the preamps were neither amplifying nor cutting the signal out of the mixer. If you up it +6 db, isn't that introducing extra noise? Isn't it better to raise the volume on the faders?
whether you add volume in the camera or the mixer, it doesn't matter except that the camera will be more noisy then the mixer for adding level. unity gain is something to worry about in a edit suite or dub rack. when shooting what counts is making a good level to tape ( disc ). given the limitations of many camera's audio sections, hotter from the mixer is generally better because you are improving the S/N ratio over the camera's pre amp noise floor. boosting in the camera will add more noise so its better to bring the mixer up then the camera up.

as for the XL2... well if it doesn't like a hot signal coming in, thats how it is. I've heard this about that camera. my camera is exactly the opposite, it likes the hottest signal you can feed it and its almost never hit the 0db light. every camera is different :(

also FWIW, I hope you are running the FP33 on either internal 9V's or a 24V+ external battery system. running the FP33 on a 14.4V NP-1 setup means the mixer is really running at barely functional voltage levels. for example turning the channels up past 7 will cause them to clip. run on 24V and you can run them at 10 if you need and the mixer will be clean. in fact running the mixer at 24V is a day and night difference in how much more headroom you get, better S/N and the limiters work much better. totally diferent beast. even running with the internal 9V's, once they drain down a bit, the mixer isn't really running at its ideal settings.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #17
Slash Rules!

Sorry, when I said "faders" before, I meant the mixer faders, not the cameras. Leaving the master at unity position or less, and raising the faders if you want to increase output to the cam is what I meant. Yes, the XL2 seems pretty sensitive sometimes.

About the batteries v AC power, I remember we argued about this a while ago. I think we'll have to agree to disagree as to whether the mixer is "barely running" with AC power (see my post from months ago that I passed on from my audio guru buddy--the electronics stuff is way beyond me, so we'll leave it at that). At any rate, another sound mixer mentioned to me that he always runs on batteries to avoid ground problems from AC outlets. I guess I'll do it for that reason.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #18
Inner Circle

FP33: 0VU tone on the FP33 sends a line out signal level of +4dBm.

XL2: Line inputs (RCA) rated a nominal -10dBv.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio