NTG-3 First Impression at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 8th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #1
Inner Circle
NTG-3 First Impression

The posty delivered my new NTG-3 this afternoon. Looking forward to putting it through its paces - so far only had time for a quick listen on phones though a mixer with it on a desktop stand and in my first impressions the mic sounds very good. Handheld pointing from about 10 feet towards a loudly ticking cukcoo clock on the wall and rotating around the axis shows a nicely behaved pattern with a smooth fall off from a loud clean tick on-axis to almost inaudible at about 110 degrees off axis. On axis from about 3 feet away my baritone voice sounded natural with good tone, albeit with a lot of room in it as to be expected. The mic was on a stand just 6 inches off the surface of a smooth desk, just couple of feet away from a very reflective concrete & plaster wall and under a similarly reflective untextured plaster ceiling. The mic was on the desk pointed up towards me as I stood about 3 feet away from it out into the room. You couldn't create a worse situation for reverb so it would be expected that it would be audible.

Sometime over the next week or so I'll get a chance to trial fit into a couple of Rycote rigs and see which fits the best.
Good news, Cousins! This week's chocolate ration is 15 grams!
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle
Steve, I'll be interested to read your comments. If you use it outdoors on a recorder without any low cuts, you definitely need good wind protection.

RODE have a new blimp for the NTG-3, it's nearly here.

Allan Black is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio