DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   NEW Rode Blimp fits most shotguns. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/129638-new-rode-blimp-fits-most-shotguns.html)

Allan Black September 9th, 2008 12:26 AM

NEW Rode Blimp fits most shotguns.

New RODE Blimp for most shotguns. Check the data sheet. $US400.

RØDE Microphones - Blimp

RODE Blimp | B&H Photo Video

Cheers.

Mike Peter Reed September 9th, 2008 01:11 AM

Dead wombat included, cewl!

I wonder how it'll stack up against Rycote and others.

Good to see increasing competition in this space.

Allan Black September 9th, 2008 01:33 AM

Yeah before anyone asks, 2 of the 3 species of real Wombat occur in NSW and are protected species.

RODEs Wombat is not real.

Cheers.

Allan Black September 18th, 2008 06:21 AM

Crossing over here a bit but I figure folk will run a search for this Blimp by the title.

Mine turned up today, it's a typical nice looking RODE package, probably the biggest item in their catalogue. The Wombat comes neatly folded inside the Blimp, with a comb for its hairs and an Allen Key to adjust the suspension. All the adjustable handles have a positive feel and tighten nicely.

It's a tad bulkier than my Rycote 3 kit and doesn't have the Connbox, which Rycote figured was needed to add additional isolation for the mic. The Blimp costs the same here as the Connbox bought as an accessory. Don't get me wrong the Rycote kit 3 is excellent with the furry cover on it blocks all the bad wind I've run across.

Be interesting to hear a comparison.

Cheers.

Marty Wein September 18th, 2008 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 938930)
It's a tad bulkier than my Rycote 3 kit and doesn't have the Connbox, which Rycote figured was needed to add additional isolation for the mic.

It is not that bulky if you are comparing it to the Rycote 4 Kit which is needed for a 416 or NTG3 plus the Rode blimp will also accommodate some longer mics like the ME66.

The Rode Blimp ships with an integrated short cable and is designed in such a way to isolate handling noise (An inexpensive answer to the Rycote Connbox).

Mike Peter Reed September 19th, 2008 01:10 AM

"The Blimp costs the same here as the Connbox bought as an accessory."

My Rycote kit didn't come with a Connbox. If I'd had problems with handling noise I might've got one by now. Don't get me wrong, if money was no object I'd get a Connbox. But, if money was no object I'd be above the line funding my own movies.

Ty Ford September 19th, 2008 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Wein (Post 938985)
It is not that bulky if you are comparing it to the Rycote 4 Kit which is needed for a 416 or NTG3 plus the Rode blimp will also accommodate some longer mics like the ME66.

The Rode Blimp ships with an integrated short cable and is designed in such a way to isolate handling noise (An inexpensive answer to the Rycote Connbox).

Hey there Marty,

The blimp has a nice feel to it and seems to do the job very well. I'd like to see a version without the handle because it would be lighter by about 4 oz, but if you're used to the Rycote, this seems a good alternative. It comes with extra bits, like a comb for the fur and extra suspension parts. Another well thought out piece from Rode.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Colin McDonald September 20th, 2008 03:47 AM

Now you see it

Purely in the interests of showing the complete package (I wanted to see this), here's a link to a site which has an enlarged image of the what's-in-the-box variety.

Pro Audio Systems
Usual advice to purchase from sponsors applies.