SD 302 vs FP-33 Mixer - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 12th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
You might be more successful setting the 302 to output mic level and using the mc level settings on the camera inputs.

I was not. I got over 90 dB S/N ratio with line in, pots open, standard level signal in from SD302. About 80 dB with mic level signals.

Have you people actually bothered to test "pots open" method and anlyzed the results?
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #17
Regular Crew

It's an "open secret" that the guys at Sound Devices used to work for Shure, realised that they could make a mixer "better" than those in the Shure range and branched out on their own with the 302 and 442.

I am seriously impressed with the Sound Devices mixers and own a 302 which I use with my Canon XH A1. I too am a bit perplexed by the high line level that Canon expects but, with the A1's pots fully open the 302 delivers wonderfully. I do wonder if Canon were just about to ship their camcorder when someone asked "Shouldn't it have sound as well?" at which point the audio side was quickly added by a junior designer.
Robin Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #18
Major Player

Josh Bass wrote: <<Why are they still selling for, at a MINIMUM, of $1200?>>

Josh,

I think the reason the Shure FP-33 still sells for so much is that it is still in such high use and is "known" in the industry. Lots of satellite trucks, tv stations, etc. have them and would rather go with something they know than to switch to something new, even if it is better. I know when I got my FP-33, I would have loved an SD-302, but got the Shure for two reasons: 1) it was cheaper (I bought it used); and 2) everybody knows the Shure. When a producer calls to book me, they hear Shure FP-33 and are comfortable. That all said, when I can afford to spend some money on it, I'll buy an SD-422.

Have fun!

Rob
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio