DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   wireless mics and xl1s (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/12989-wireless-mics-xl1s.html)

Joshua Cohen August 7th, 2003 08:54 PM

wireless mics and xl1s

Hi everyone. This is my very first post, and hopefully, not the last.

I have been using my xl1s for quite some time now, and absolutely love it, but that is besides the point and question at hand.

I would like to move away from wired mics (don't ask) and on to wireless mics. I don't have much of any knowledge on how to go about and do this.

I don't even know what system to look at to do this. Pretty much what I would like to do is give a wireless mic to someone, and then have them talk, and the camera dub it into the live feed. I know I need a transmitter, a receiver, and the mics.

Also, from what I've gathered. no matter what, the receiver is what plugs into the camera, via an XLR cable. Do I really need a fairly large, but not to large, of a box to travel with me at all times? I've seen pictures of the camera with 2 body packs. I do not know where these fit in, but from what I've gathered, they don't plug into the camera, they pick up the feed from the mics.

Thank you for all of your time.

Jay Massengill August 8th, 2003 08:54 AM

The lavalier mic element attaches to the bodypack transmitter. The transmitter sends the signal to the receiver. The receiver is hooked to the camera inputs.
You can also get handheld transmitters and plug-on transmitters that work with a regular handheld mic and utilize the same receiver. You need a separate receiver for each transmitter you want to run simultaneously.
The method for hooking the receiver output to the camera input depends on how your camera is equipped. Do you have an XLR adapter for your XL1s? You can do without one depending on the wireless system you choose or how you adapt its output.
In general the best performance in low-cost wireless systems is achieved with UHF diversity systems with properly selected frequencies for your area. The receiver has two antennae to help reduce dropouts in the pickup of the transmitted signal.
Expect to pay between $400 and $600 minimum for a worthwhile UHF diversity system. Better systems go up to $3000.

Nathan Gifford August 8th, 2003 09:25 AM

You do not need to have an XLR system. Diversity is a definite plus, and can be had even on Sampson system.

Still one of the best for the bucks systems the Sennheiser Evolution System 100, does not have diversity (other Evolution systems do have diversity). I have used mine for over a year and have never had a drop out.

Joshua Cohen August 8th, 2003 05:51 PM

Hey, thanks a lot, I appreciate it a lot.

So, basically, what I've come to realize, with your help, that no matter what, the receiver plugs into the camera.

Jay, I have the XLR adaptor for the camera, to answer your question.

Also, can anyone point me in the right direction to look at a diversity system?

Thank you again.

Nathan Gifford August 8th, 2003 10:33 PM

Give people an idea on how much you want to spend.

Joshua Cohen August 9th, 2003 08:49 AM

Hmm...I'd probably be willing to spend no more than $600 for a wireless system.

Thanks again.

Buzz Bell August 9th, 2003 09:26 AM

Diversity mics are great - but generally more expensive. Want you want to be sure to get at a minimum is UHF reciever/transmitters (over VHF) . I use the Sennhausier (I'm sure THATs spelled correctly) 100 series of wireless and shotgun mics and they work great on my XL1S. I removed the factory stereo boom and replaced it with a better mono boom - so when I shoot i have on Audio 1 - 1 mono input from the on board boom for ambient and i wireless connected to the talent.
If you ADD the wireless to your Canon then they need to come in seperately on Audio 2 and you need to take 2 passes to bring all the audio into your NLE.

These wireless mics are in your $ range.

This works for me at least.

Joshua Cohen August 11th, 2003 10:01 PM

Well, I've decided to go with the Sennheiser Evolution 1 series.

I spoke with someone at a large video and audio store, and he explained how it all works.

I appreciate everyones help.

Josh

Nathan Gifford August 12th, 2003 07:47 AM

Be aware that the Evolution 100 system system is not diversity (the rack mount may be). That said, I have yet to have a dropout with mine.