K-TEK KE-110CCR Boom Pole?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 16th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

K-TEK KE-110CCR Boom Pole??

What do you think of this boom pole??
Is it better than the one made from Rode?

K-Tek KE-110CCR Avalon Aluminiun Boom Pole w/ Internal Coiled Cable (Side Exit) - KT90532 - KE-110CCR

Keene Electronics

Thank you

Vicente
Vvicente Villaescusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Vicente,

The K-Tek KE-110CC (non-right angle model) is the standard boom pole at my university's film/video department. It's held up very well to student use/abuse, which means it should be just fine for any other likely scenario. The pole action is smooth, it locks up rigidly and weight is reasonable.

The only caveat I have that the internal cable has kinked on a few of the poles, making it hard to close them all the way. I doubt that this will ever become an issue in a single-user situation, however.

Yrs,

Hoi
Ngo Vinh-Hoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:55 AM   #3
Major Player

I just bought it about a month ago. Used it a few times. Love it.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 09:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm in the same debate as you. My XH-A1 just arrived yesterday... I bought my AT-822 today and it should arrive in a few days. Next purchases are the pole and shockmount.

I'm in debate now between getting a used K-tek 110cc for $190 used vs. a new Rode Boompole from B&H for $150. if I found a used Rode, then the debate would be much harder, but for now, I think I'm leaning towards the used K-tek. Towards the end of this thread here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/all-thing...rspective.html (on page 2-3), the K-tek is discussed a lot and it seems to have more support (heh, as in from people supporting it) rather than the Rode.

One of the questions we had was if the K-tek 110cc was an Avalon because on bhphoto.com, it's title didn't have "Avalon" in it. But looking at the description, it seems it is part of the Avalon series.

What's the difference between the CC and the CCR exactly? it seems the CCR has a side exit? what exactly is that all about.
Old September 17th, 2008, 10:11 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahryar Rizvi View Post
What's the difference between the CC and the CCR exactly? it seems the CCR has a side exit? what exactly is that all about.
There are a few options so that you can rest the butt end of the pole on the ground between takes, or stick it in a sort of holster on your sound cart. One option is the side connector, another is to use an end connector on your pole, but use a right angle XLR-F on your primary boom cable.

But mostly it's inconvenient to use a standard cable in an end-connector on a pole because when you put it in a resting position you're putting strain on the cable where it enters the XLR-F plug, which will eventually lead to failure. Nobody likes that.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #6
Major Player

We too have that same budget Avalon and the only negative side I've found so far is that the internal cable could make unwanted sounds inside the aluminum tubing when boom is operated carelessly otherwise it is alright boom. And don't store the boom extended or the coiled cable will uncoil faster than you want causing the collapsing problems mentioned by Hoi.

T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 07:00 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahryar Rizvi View Post
One of the questions we had was if the K-tek 110cc was an Avalon because on bhphoto.com, it's title didn't have "Avalon" in it. But looking at the description, it seems it is part of the Avalon series.

All the K-Tek poles with that the Catalog# begins with KE or KEG are the Avalon series. KE is the Aluminum and the KEG is Graphite (Carbon Fiber)

CC stands for Coiled Cable and it exits on the Bottom, CCR stands for Coiled Cable Right Angle and exits on the Side.

FYI: Should you decide to get the Rode then go for a new one. The current Rode poles have been redesigned and improved over the first generation so unless you get a killer price on a used Rode I would go for the new one.
Marty Wein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Wein View Post
All the K-Tek poles with that the Catalog# begins with KE or KEG are the Avalon series. KE is the Aluminum and the KEG is Graphite (Carbon Fiber)

CC stands for Coiled Cable and it exits on the Bottom, CCR stands for Coiled Cable Right Angle and exits on the Side.
Got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
But mostly it's inconvenient to use a standard cable in an end-connector on a pole because when you put it in a resting position you're putting strain on the cable where it enters the XLR-F plug, which will eventually lead to failure....
Sounds like Side exit (CCR model) is the way to go then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Wein View Post
FYI: Should you decide to get the Rode then go for a new one. The current Rode poles have been redesigned and improved over the first generation so unless you get a killer price on a used Rode I would go for the new one.
Noted. Perhaps that's why the first generation was so much cheaper (at least at one point) coming down to $72 if I remember correctly.

What about the decision between a new rode and used K-tek CCR for a $40 price diff? (if trust in the used device being in good shape wasn't an issue of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi View Post
We too have that same budget Avalon and the only negative side I've found so far is that the internal cable could make unwanted sounds inside the aluminum tubing when boom is operated carelessly otherwise it is alright boom. And don't store the boom extended or the coiled cable will uncoil faster than you want causing the collapsing problems mentioned by Hoi....
Noted.
Old September 18th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #9
Slash Rules!

I just want to chime in and say that you should be able to find the Rode pole (unless they make more than one) for way less than $150 new. I got mine for $110, and right after the order did a search and found it for $99. Not saying it's the better piece of gear, but it shouldn't cost you $150.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
I just want to chime in and say that you should be able to find the Rode pole (unless they make more than one) for way less than $150 new. I got mine for $110, and right after the order did a search and found it for $99. Not saying it's the better piece of gear, but it shouldn't cost you $150.
Hmm.. bhphotovideo.com is showing up as $150. If you have suggestions for credible places, please let me know. It seems to me that to save $40 between a new Rode and a used K-tek 110CCR, I should go with the K-tek. But to save more, I think I would go with the Rode.
Old September 18th, 2008, 10:16 AM   #11
Regular Crew

If you're going to spend over $300 for a Boompole- go carbon. In the real world, an operator may spend hours holding up a pole and following action. The extra weight shaved off by carbon is WELL worth (reduced shoulder and back pain) the dollars spent. The Rode looks like a glorified painter's pole and a MUCH high price than a painter's pole... so if you're considering the Rode, why not try a DIY painter's pole boom for your productions?
The internal coiled cable is very helpful in speeding up pole-length changes and yes, they can develop kinks if you do not open and close them properly.
HINT: don't just pull the sections apart or collapse them in line. Allow the poles to twist a bit as you mover the sections- this prevents kinking in the first place.
As always, YMMV
http://www.gearninja.com/Images/HV20acsy/BmPlMc_tab.jpg
M. Paul El-Darwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #12
Slash Rules!

I"m not advocating one pole over the other, just saying that you should make the decision based on a good price for each product. As for where I got it, I know it wasn't B&H, and I know Chris doesn't allow promotion of businesses that aren't DVinfo sponsors, so I would just say do a shopping search on Google, or try dealtime.com or bizrate.com to find a seller who seems trustworthy.

As for the pole itself, I can attest that it goes out to a nice 10' (about 3 feet collapsed), stays fairly rigid when it's out there, and seems pretty sturdily built. You can run a cable up through it (not quite the same as an internally cabled pole, 'cause with the rode you'd have to coil up the cable when the pole's collapsed). Can't say how noisy it is when booming while rigged like this, 'cause I've only ever hung it off a C-stand.

It is quite heavy compared to better poles, so that's a factor, and the foam that covers the base section is too thick to fit in the $9 fishpole holders you can find at Academy (which is what a lot of sound guys use to hold their poles on C-stands, as opposed to the $65 boom mate), so I have to use the next skinniest section in the holder when I put it on a C-stand. (the foam could be taken off, I just haven't seen the need to do it).

I don't know what else there is to say. If you're not doing a lot of actual boom operating, but just need a way to rig a boom mic, it's nice, and maybe it's not so heavy after all. Maybe you're a guy who takes a lot of steroids and can handle it. Anyway, for around $100, it's not a bad buy.
Old September 18th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #13
Slash Rules!

My apologies. Looks like the new model you guys mentioned is NOT the one I have. So all my info about it is based on the one I own, not the one they're currently selling.

I got this thing last year at some point, so that's the price I was thinking of. I was able to find it for $125, but not what I paid for it. Sorry.
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #14
Regular Crew

K-tek 110CCR length

I got the 110CCR recently. What is its maximum length? In the specifications I see 9.2', but mine does not extend that much. It just has 4 of those joints, out of which 2 can be loosened to extend the pole - am I missing something?
Srinivas Swaminathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #15
Major Player

Unless you received a defective pole you should be able to loosen all 4 for a total of five sections at a max length of 110"
Marty Wein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio