Two-microphone configuration. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 21st, 2003, 06:28 PM   #16
Wrangler

See if you can talk a DSR-300 owner out of the short shotgun that comes with the camera. Lots of them have been replaced and are just sitting on shelves. I'd guess they might go for $100. I certainly like mine.
Old August 21st, 2003, 09:46 PM   #17
Major Player

Dave,
You've made a very generous offer. Trouble is, I can't tell you exactly what distance I'll be, not having seen where I'll be conducting the interviews. If I go with an ME64 it will, indeed, be on a boom pole, most likely above and pointed down between the interviewer and the subject. Interviews will range from medical offices at a university, to the homes of elderly (female... softer voices) doctors, to families sitting around (on couches, I'm guessing). The other types of interviews/situations will be outdoors and will require other tactics from the 64.

I'm assuming I'll have a certain amount of control over how far away the principles will be sitting. Basically I'm just curious what the inside and outside parameters would be for good (not just ok) pickup on your mic/your ME64. Would love to not have to buy wireless/wired lavs, and be able to use my K6 from my ME66. But then again, I've worked on so many things (in the edit bay) where people really ruined their shows (docs in particular) by cutting corners that I don't want to repeat those mistakes. There are places to save money, and places where a bigger investment is well spent.

The rest of this thread has really gotten me to thinking as well...
Marcia
Marcia Janine Galles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2003, 06:40 PM   #18
Trustee

Hi Marcia,
If you could tell me the minimum and maximum distance in
feet (maybe based upon how wide and tight your shots are
gonna be) I'll run some tests and let you know what I find out
for "good (not just ok)" dialog.
Just curious. What is the planned final output (i.e. vhs for
home TV, theatre, etc.)?
Dave
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2003, 07:16 PM   #19
Major Player

Dave, will take some measurements (understand they'll be best guesses) tomorrow. Am headed out.

Final output is film for festivals, etc. Some festivals will accept DV these days, but AMPAS still requires a film print is shown first to a paying audience, even if it's only a one shot deal. Given the topic it may well go to television, but I'm shooting for film at 24p advanced on my DVX, as well as keeping that in mind insofar as how I frame it. (Don't want a mil CU's all over the place when it's going to be projected on the big screen... giant eyes and noses get old quick.) Only things I haven't decided on are audio issues and whether or not to crop for 16x9 as I shoot. Everything I read contradicts the last thing, as to which is better... shooting, croping later, etc.

Thanks for your help,
Marcia
Marcia Janine Galles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2003, 03:08 PM   #20
Trustee

Hi Marcia,
What does the DVX offer in the way of 16X9 options? I have some thoughts on this also; I'm moving in that direction myself.
Brackish
Dave Largent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio