RODE Blimp suspension pix. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 20th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #1
Inner Circle

RODE Blimp suspension pix.

In response to some requests for shots of the RODE Blimp suspension, here's some quick shots, with the NTG-3 fitted. Note the custom XLR male connector.

In Pix 1 the hoops have 2 positions for the O rings similar to the Rycotes, and the instructions say 'various configurations for various environmental conditions' which means 'wind' but how strong and from what direction I'm finding out.

The 2nd pix shows the cable from the rear of the mic, fitted through the isolation plug, the little grey piece which can come away from the mount, then down through the handle to an XLR socket at the bottom. The cable can't be removed from the handle. The silver clip at the top of the handle swings out so you can adjust the position of the handle, then lock it again.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
RODE Blimp suspension pix.-rode-blimp-suspension-1-medium-.jpg   RODE Blimp suspension pix.-blimp-suspension-2-medium-.jpg  

Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 12:02 PM   #2
Major Player

Allan,
Another nice feature is the fact that you can also move the handle back and forth in addition to the angle adjustment, for optimum balance.

FYI: The connector is a new Switchcraft design and not custom to Rode and the Cable is removable should you want to (see attached).
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rode Blimp - inserting a cable.pdf (106.1 KB, 576 views)

Last edited by Marty Wein; September 22nd, 2008 at 01:17 PM.
Marty Wein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Stereo cable through the new Rode blimp

Thanks for this. I'm struggling to understand this here but does this mean if that if I wanted to put (say) a stereo AT825 mic in this new blimp that the arrangement would let me get the cable(s) out of it?

I have a (new) Rycote 330 System and the answer is no (with that) as there is only a very narrow channel to get the supplied short proprietory Rycote (mono) cable through the system to the "outside". It's very good/a delight otherwise!

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; September 22nd, 2008 at 03:21 PM.
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:14 PM   #4
Major Player

Andy,
Yes you can rewire it with a 5 pin cable. The attached instructions are for inserting a cable. To remove the cable you would follow step (5) pulling down the XLR, followed by (2) Removing the cover. Remove the supplied cable and follow all the steps from (4) thru (7). Steps (1) and (3) do not apply.

Once you have it in your hands it will be easier to understand.
Marty Wein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:50 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi guys, agreed the AT825 with its supplied twin cables could fit, with some custom absorbtion at the damping points so they don't rattle.

Hi Marty thanks. I had my Blimp before that info. As you know Blimps come fitted with that tail cable in my pix, so you just plug your extension cable into the XLR in its handle. But that PDF is needed if you want to change that cable for your longer one, without it it'd take a while to figure it out. It shows the handle of the PG2 shockmount which is the same handle as the Blimp.

Here's the RODE dual suspension explanation I was looking for. Quote:

The “Low and Wide” configuration is the default setting as supplied out of the box. The silicone bands are not pulled extremely tight in this setting. This provides a supple and relatively soft suspension system, which results in the best handling noise isolation. Think of it as the sort of suspension they use in limousines or jalopies so that for maximum passenger comfort, i.e. more spring travel and not a lot of damping.

The “Tall & Narrow” configuration stretched the bands a bit tighter and also shifts the centre of the microphone clips slightly upward. The extra tension in the bands is useful in more extreme environments where short, sharp movements on a long boompole are unavoidable and you don’t want the microphone to bounce around too much. For harsh conditions when the Blimp will be subjected to jolts and bumps it may be a worthwhile compromise. The other main use of this configuration is for larger diameter microphones such as the M3, NT4 and NT3. The extra weight in these microphones requires extra tension in the silicone bands to prevent them from sagging. Unquote.

The Blimp carton lists 46 mics of all types and that now includes RODE M3, NT4/3, so I expect my AT822 and others to fit.

The Blimp is available now from least 3 outlets in Sydney for $A269. Components like the end caps will also be available separately through RODE dealers.

Shortly on the RODE site, they'll be a named list of parts, like 'bung' the small plug in Marty's PDF.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #6
Major Player

Re: RODE Blimp suspension pix.

Hello Everyone :)

I just got a Rode Blimp on eBay, but it didn't come with any accessories; cable grommet, microphone clips, extra rubber suspension bands, ‘dead wombat’ comb, hex driver, cable bung (wheat's a cable bung?).

I purchased it used, so there is no way to get it from the seller.

Rode's website doesn't seem to want me to find them anywhere... any feedback on how I can get these missing items??

Thanks in advance!!

Anthony
Old September 29th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Anthony, for a start you can d/load the Blimp manual to get to learn more about it ..

RDE Microphones - Blimp

Then contact Rode support to find out how/where you might get your missing items ..

RDE Microphones - Support

An interesting question to ask them would be, how can you find out if your Blimp is registered for its 10yr warranty?
If it is and still valid, without any damage which might invalidate the warranty ... can you transfer it to you?

It's the weekend right now, so while you're waiting try Googling those items you're missing, you might get some, also from ebay.

Cheers. Hope this helps.
Old September 29th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, and yes it does help... I didn't know about the warranty... that's valuable information!!

I did Google the xxx out of it, but I couldn't find much in the form of sourcing. I am really surprised that the Rode website doesn't have any info on the accessories on it, or at least not that I could find.

Thank you so much for the help!!

Anthony
Old September 30th, 2012, 05:33 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Allan.

I received my blimp extensions and the Sony C74 fits fine. Two are needed to accommodate the C76 and it is a long and awkward arrangement. The fur cover is of course too short for the C76. The arrangement is heaps better for handling noise than Sony's original. I used the supplied red bands for the Sony mikes.

It seems I mave have misinformed people in past posts. The metal material in the acoustic tube appears to be brass along with the screw-on battery cover but this may be some sort of tough undercoat. The internal structure is definitely aluminium.

Whatever, it does give you the shakes if you hold it well outboard for any length of time and lightweight poles bend rather frighteningly with the weight.

Last edited by Bob Hart; September 30th, 2012 at 05:35 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 08:53 PM   #10
Major Player

Hello Alan,

UPDATE!

Mathew of Rode has offered to fix my problem, so I am now confident in all of my Rode purchases.

Thank you for leading me to the right path!!

AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
Hi Anthony, for a start you can d/load the Blimp manual to get to learn more about it ..

RDE Microphones - Blimp

Then contact Rode support to find out how/where you might get your missing items ..

RDE Microphones - Support

An interesting question to ask them would be, how can you find out if your Blimp is registered for its 10yr warranty?
If it is and still valid, without any damage which might invalidate the warranty ... can you transfer it to you?

It's the weekend right now, so while you're waiting try Googling those items you're missing, you might get some, also from ebay.

Cheers. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Anthony Marotti; October 2nd, 2012 at 01:51 AM.
Anthony Marotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 02:18 AM   #11
Inner Circle

A note on the Rode Blimp free 10yr guarantee. It's only for the original purchaser who has his purchase receipt.
The Blimps don't have a serial number, its registered on line warranty is not transferrable.

Hi Bob, I'm not up with those long Sony shotguns, so you bought 2 Blimp extension kits for your C76? Whoohoo, that'd be a first :)

RDE Microphones - Blimp Extension

Cheers.
Old November 12th, 2012, 02:26 AM   #12
Major Player

New Update:

As of this date, Mathew of Rode hasn't sent me anything he said that he would and he hasn't answered my last emails.

So I am very disappointed so far in the service, I can only imagine how a warranty problem would be handled if this is an example of what to expect.

Anthony :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Marotti View Post
Hello Alan,

UPDATE!

Mathew of Rode has offered to fix my problem, so I am now confident in all of my Rode purchases.

Thank you for leading me to the right path!!

AM
Old November 15th, 2012, 07:16 AM   #13
Major Player

Hello All :-)

I'm happy to say that I finally received my replacement parts and after a couple of months I can finally start using my blimp.

I'm grateful that I was helped, but I don't understand why it was so difficult to get these parts?

Anyway... happy ending!

Anthony

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio