DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   U.S. Sony UWP-V6 mic kit ok to use in Australia? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/133754-u-s-sony-uwp-v6-mic-kit-ok-use-australia.html)

David Cleverly September 20th, 2008 07:52 PM

U.S. Sony UWP-V6 mic kit ok to use in Australia?

Hi there all,

I was wondering if this:

SONY UWP-V6 WIRELESS PLUG-IN MIC PAK(42/44- 638-662MHZ) - eBay Wireless Microphone Systems, Microphones, Pro Audio Stage Effects, Electronics. (end time 17-Oct-08 12:52:24 AEST)

...would be ok to use in Australia.

These will not be available in Australia for some time, so I thought a U.S. purchase might be good, considering I need such a system immediately, but don't want to buy the current Australian model.

I know it would work with our cameras, but was wondering if the frequency range would cause problems. If I remember correctly, we use the "66" Sony channel group here in Aus as is on my current WRR series wireless mics/receiver, so I am a little suspicious that perhaps the frequencies of this U.S. unit will clash with something here.

Would appreciate any feedback before I spend the money.

Cheers,

David

Allan Black September 20th, 2008 10:58 PM

David, I bought a Sony UWP rig from Videolab a couple of years ago to conform to our regs. 66-67 792.250 - 805.500Mhz. This may help.

ACMA - Wireless microphones and digital television/datacasting

Cheers.

David Cleverly September 29th, 2008 07:08 PM

Thanks Alan, I can't seem to find a kit that suits our regs anywhere outside of Australia.

I can't find Videolab anywhere, either...

Allan Black September 29th, 2008 08:36 PM

G'day David, yep every country has its own regs, but I've seen visiting US crews happily blasting away with their own wireless rigs here for a short time.

Because so many new blocks are being allocated, many countries are restricting wireless mic frequency ranges and some current, brand wireless rigs will/already be redundant.

Airwave Concerns Prompt Proposal To Ban Some Wireless Microphones - washingtonpost.com

It behoves us to buy locally :) sorry that's Videocraft here....0294363050.

Around some airports the RF (radio interference) is now so bad you can throw a piece of white bread up in the air and it comes down toast. (props to the author on another site)

Cheers.

David Cleverly September 29th, 2008 08:53 PM

Thanks!

So, just to clarify, does that mean if I buy an overseas model for use here, is the problem that it will be susceptible to interference from other transmissions, or is it just that I am using a device that is not "approved" or "supposed" to be used here, but can be used here nonetheless?

Allan Black September 29th, 2008 09:31 PM

It means both David; using an imported rig, who knows what or when any RF interference might occur, what fines might be currently applicable or worse might be gazetted in the future.

Buying here, you get the local warranty. But watch out for any possible super great deals because the rig has a limited govt. approval life through the official frequency regs changing.

That could happen elsewhere too.

Cheers.

David Cleverly September 29th, 2008 09:38 PM

I was in Forster, NSW, shooting some pics one day, when I picked up what I think must have been the local radio station on my Sony WRR series receiver. Thought that would have been expensive enough to avoid that, but obviously not!

Someone was obviously breaking the law somewhere.

Allan Black September 29th, 2008 09:51 PM

Could have been line of sight to 2GLA the local FM station up there. You should listen out for their 'win a new wireless rig' ring in contest :)

Cheers.

David Cleverly October 2nd, 2008 04:51 PM

I am not sure if my source of information is correct, but I heard today that the Australian frequencies are about to be changed and this will mean that we will be able to use US sets over here.

Has anyone else heard this? This would save me some decent money, and would mean I could purchase the UWP-V6 mic kit now.
Cheers,

David

Allan Black October 3rd, 2008 02:16 AM

Where did you hear that?