DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   XL1 mic recommendations (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/133777-xl1-mic-recommendations.html)

Mike Lockwood September 20th, 2008 10:54 PM

XL1 mic recommendations

1) I own a Canon XL1( yes it's old but in excellent shape). I shoot hi school football games for the local team in La Marque Texas. I record the footage to a Firestore FS4, do a post game edit, then replay the game each week on the local community access channel. I used to have a crew of 4, using 2 announcers, 1 stats man with the laptop and naturally a cameraman. I would run the rca audio cables from the sound mixer to the XL1 and then send the video/audio mix via firewire to the the FS4. I also use a Varizoom monitor mounted on the camera,I split the video signal and send it back to the broadcast booth via rca video cable so the announcers can watch what the camera is shooting during the game. Now after all of that, here is the situation. I now only have 2 crew members.

2) I plan to set up the XL1 as normal on top of the press box at any given football game. I will have one announcer standing beside the tripod with the cameraman also miked up as an announcer. Here is the question

3) What type of headset(with built in mic) should I get for both the announcer and camera man so the audio is recorded and the audio also can be heard by both out of the headphones jack on the XL1. I guess what I'm also asking, can headset mics be configured to work with the RCA audio inputs on the XL1 or does the audio need to be input thru the 3.5m mic jack? I am looking for the simplest solution in regards to the type of jacks already available on the XL1.

Hopefully I have described the situation. In a nutshell I am getting rid of the sound mixer I used to use to input sound into the XL1 thru the RCA audio (1 or 2) inputs.

thanks for any suggestions or leads.

Mike Lockwood
Coogs Sports Net
www.coogsports.net

Jimmy Tuffrey September 21st, 2008 12:57 PM

The headset mic's will need to go in via the xlr's. A cable to convert from 1/4" jack to xlr is fine. It is there that mic level needs to enter the camera. If you go in via the rca's then it will need to be line,(mixer output) level.

The headphone amp will struggle with being loud enough if you try to run two headsets off of it. Is this a small game or a pro stadium. The latter will be very loud. Oh yeah college - so try a passive y split on the cans and see.

It's a nice idea but it aint always so easy to achieve without compromise. Otherwise we'd all be doing it.

God luck on finding a set up that works for you.

Mike Lockwood September 22nd, 2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy Tuffrey (Post 940512)
The headset mic's will need to go in via the xlr's. A cable to convert from 1/4" jack to xlr is fine. It is there that mic level needs to enter the camera. If you go in via the rca's then it will need to be line,(mixer output) level.

The headphone amp will struggle with being loud enough if you try to run two headsets off of it. Is this a small game or a pro stadium. The latter will be very loud. Oh yeah college - so try a passive y split on the cans and see.

It's a nice idea but it aint always so easy to achieve without compromise. Otherwise we'd all be doing it.

God luck on finding a set up that works for you.

Thanks Jimmy, I ordered the Canon MA100 XLR mic Adapter for the XL1 thinking that would be the case.Your response confirmed that.

I appreciate your prompt response.