how do I handle audio ignorant producer? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:18 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Another possible option

I was once working with a director who became impatient with waiting for aircraft during quite an important interview. Eventually she said that we would shoot anyway and was not persuaded by my argument. I agreed to carry on but asked the cameraman to turn over and point at me, standing next to the director. I explained to camera what the situation was and asked to director to confirm her decision on camera. She backed down and we continued to wait for aircraft. A brutal tactic, but I had to protect myself. Didn't work with her again: but that didn't upset me too much.
Nick Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 06:16 PM   #17
Trustee

From a post point of view it is a lot easier to handle planes within interviews, digital editing means that a slow tail out can let all sorts of aircraft pass over head by adding a suitable track.

Now 18th century drama is another problem but pride and pred from the beeb had several planes passing.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:12 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Many years ago I was on the set of a film being produced by a crew from a country where the films are usually made MOS. Countries that make most of their movie money by exporting frequently film this way. This was their first attempt at an English language production and they didn't want to pay the actors for ADR as that would have meant airfares as the film was being posted in their home country or paying United States rates to do it here. These guys were so nervous that nobody could talk for a quarter of a mile outside a house where the dialogue was being recorded indoors with closed doors. At least they got clean audio.

One thing that lots of independent producers miss is that they have to account for the audio feasibility of scenes in their scripts. Usually producers are aware of visuals but they forget the sound. I no longer will direct multi-camera live music shoots unless the producer is hiring an audio professional to record and mix. If the sound is bad no one will see the work and I feel like I've wasted somebody's money.
Old October 4th, 2008, 01:39 AM   #19
Regular Crew

When in Rome

In the reverse mode of William's post above, I was once on the English sound crew of a film being shot in Rome with a mainly Italian crew. At the time, Italy's films were mostly shot MOS and even in the studio (Safa Palatino Studio - in the centre of Rome, just above the Collosseum: one of life's GOOD locations!) sound discipline was relaxed to the point of cacophony. However, the influence of my boss, Peter Handford, was powerful enough to ensure that a very steep learning curve was introduced. We also learned Italian things: "Turn over" is "Motore", "Running" is "Partito", or if you are from Naples, "Partooto"! Happy days.

My boss's influence was exercised to the full on a picture with Katherine Hepburn when she declined to wear radio mics. The boom op reported his unsuccessful attempt to rig her and Peter sucked thoughtfully on his pipe and ambled over to Miss H's caravan. 10 minutes later he came out and told the boom op to go in and rig her.

"How did you do it?" I asked. He explained that he had agreed with her that radio mics were horrible to wear sometimes, and sometimes horrible to listen to. "But" he continued, "when I explained that as she would be the only member of the cast not having one, she would be Post Synching more than the others." That convinced her, as she knew that performances are so much better with the location sound.

A good point, but it took Peter's calm authority to make it stick with a major Hollywood star.
Nick Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 08:05 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Flowers View Post
In the reverse mode of William's post above, I was once on the English sound crew of a film being shot in Rome with a mainly Italian crew. At the time, Italy's films were mostly shot MOS and even in the studio (Safa Palatino Studio - in the centre of Rome, just above the Collosseum: one of life's GOOD locations!) sound discipline was relaxed to the point of cacophony. However, the influence of my boss, Peter Handford, was powerful enough to ensure that a very steep learning curve was introduced. We also learned Italian things: "Turn over" is "Motore", "Running" is "Partito", or if you are from Naples, "Partooto"! Happy days.

My boss's influence was exercised to the full on a picture with Katherine Hepburn when she declined to wear radio mics. The boom op reported his unsuccessful attempt to rig her and Peter sucked thoughtfully on his pipe and ambled over to Miss H's caravan. 10 minutes later he came out and told the boom op to go in and rig her.

"How did you do it?" I asked. He explained that he had agreed with her that radio mics were horrible to wear sometimes, and sometimes horrible to listen to. "But" he continued, "when I explained that as she would be the only member of the cast not having one, she would be Post Synching more than the others." That convinced her, as she knew that performances are so much better with the location sound.

A good point, but it took Peter's calm authority to make it stick with a major Hollywood star.
I am working on a doc about The African Queen right now, great Kate story. Miss Hepburn was nothing if not pragmatic.

Best,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 02:02 AM   #21
Regular Crew

African Queen

Hey Dan,
I sent an email to you with info about African Queen (I had a trip in her). Did it get through?
Nick Flowers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio