DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Unlocked vs Locked (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/133965-unlocked-vs-locked.html)

Lisa Bennett September 22nd, 2008 01:31 PM

Unlocked vs Locked

Need some info...when capturing from HD100 by 1394...isn't audio already considered "locked"? I don't use FCP but heard some sync problems can occur. A clients requirement is "locked" audio and trying to see if I need to do something special to meet their specs.

Thanks
Lisa

Jeffery Magat September 22nd, 2008 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Bennett (Post 940994)
Need some info...when capturing from HD100 by 1394...isn't audio already considered "locked"? I don't use FCP but heard some sync problems can occur. A clients requirement is "locked" audio and trying to see if I need to do something special to meet their specs.

Thanks
Lisa

Google "locked audio" should be your first hit.

Lisa Bennett September 22nd, 2008 05:23 PM

Thanks for the reply.....

I have to admit unlocked vs locked..I have never before been asked by a client specifically to deliver locked. But I'm still learning about this part of things.

So the JVC GY-HD100U once it's captured 1394 firewire to NLE ...it's considered locked or unlocked?

Thanks again,
LB

Bill Davis September 22nd, 2008 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Bennett (Post 941125)
Thanks for the reply.....

I have to admit unlocked vs locked..I have never before been asked by a client specifically to deliver locked. But I'm still learning about this part of things.

So the JVC GY-HD100U once it's captured 1394 firewire to NLE ...it's considered locked or unlocked?

Thanks again,
LB

Lisa,

Typically, if you're recording 25mbps (regular DV) onto mini-DV tape - the tape will have unlocked audio.

Locked audio is one of the features of the "step up" formats such as DVCAM or DVCPro.

If you recorded direct to disc, someone had to set the recording format. If they set it to plain old DV, chances are its unlocked.

I suspect this is simply a technical spec that the company specifying locked audio uses to weed out "camcorder semi-pro" submissions. In reality, there are only a few rare circumstances where the difference between locked and unlocked audio makes any functional difference.

But the fix is easy...

Just borrow a camcorder or deck that records to DVCAM rather than mini-DV - dub your tape across via firewire - and presto, the resulting deliverable tape will feature locked audio since that's all the DVCAM format will allow.

Lisa Bennett September 23rd, 2008 11:10 AM

Bill,

Thanks for the info on this topic. I am recording straight to mini-DV with the HD100. Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a DVcam where I am located but I'm glad to know the process of how it's done. I'll have to see if the client can accept what I've got. I think they use FCP and if they do the edit I suppose they are worried about sync problems that could occur at times.

Thanks again.

Best,
Lisa