Unlocked vs Locked at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 22nd, 2008, 01:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Unlocked vs Locked

Need some info...when capturing from HD100 by 1394...isn't audio already considered "locked"? I don't use FCP but heard some sync problems can occur. A clients requirement is "locked" audio and trying to see if I need to do something special to meet their specs.

Thanks
Lisa
Old September 22nd, 2008, 04:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Bennett View Post
Need some info...when capturing from HD100 by 1394...isn't audio already considered "locked"? I don't use FCP but heard some sync problems can occur. A clients requirement is "locked" audio and trying to see if I need to do something special to meet their specs.

Thanks
Lisa
Google "locked audio" should be your first hit.
Jeffery Magat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 05:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply.....

I have to admit unlocked vs locked..I have never before been asked by a client specifically to deliver locked. But I'm still learning about this part of things.

So the JVC GY-HD100U once it's captured 1394 firewire to NLE ...it's considered locked or unlocked?

Thanks again,
LB
Old September 22nd, 2008, 11:39 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Bennett View Post
Thanks for the reply.....

I have to admit unlocked vs locked..I have never before been asked by a client specifically to deliver locked. But I'm still learning about this part of things.

So the JVC GY-HD100U once it's captured 1394 firewire to NLE ...it's considered locked or unlocked?

Thanks again,
LB
Lisa,

Typically, if you're recording 25mbps (regular DV) onto mini-DV tape - the tape will have unlocked audio.

Locked audio is one of the features of the "step up" formats such as DVCAM or DVCPro.

If you recorded direct to disc, someone had to set the recording format. If they set it to plain old DV, chances are its unlocked.

I suspect this is simply a technical spec that the company specifying locked audio uses to weed out "camcorder semi-pro" submissions. In reality, there are only a few rare circumstances where the difference between locked and unlocked audio makes any functional difference.

But the fix is easy...

Just borrow a camcorder or deck that records to DVCAM rather than mini-DV - dub your tape across via firewire - and presto, the resulting deliverable tape will feature locked audio since that's all the DVCAM format will allow.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:10 AM   #5
Major Player

Bill,

Thanks for the info on this topic. I am recording straight to mini-DV with the HD100. Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a DVcam where I am located but I'm glad to know the process of how it's done. I'll have to see if the client can accept what I've got. I think they use FCP and if they do the edit I suppose they are worried about sync problems that could occur at times.

Thanks again.

Best,
Lisa

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio