302 Mixer? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 1st, 2008, 11:53 PM   #16
Major Player

I have used SD302 with COS-11 and it certainly behaved normally, trim at around 2-3 o'clock and pot about 12 to 2 o'clock if my menory serves. I also suspect you have line-in level on the input. 48v is better than 12v, higher voltages give better S/N ratios than low ones. Do not try T-power, can fry the mic.
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 01:50 PM   #17
Trustee

Thanks for all the replies. I definitely have it set to Mic level; when set to Line I hear nothing at all. Perhaps I'm just setting the level too high? I'm having normal speech kiss the organge LEDs and peaks approach but not touch +20.

I had to get some cables at Location Sound today and they suggested trying to set the normal speech level to stay within the green.

I also checked to be sure I don't have output attenuation set. I don't.

I tried with my MKH-60, and the level is more like gain at 3 o'clock with the fader at zero.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 06:01 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
I'm following the advice in this thread, level averaging around 0 and peaking just below +20.
Best is to set the test tone to 0VU on the mixer and -18dBFS on the recorder (though the USA may use -20dBFS).

Peak to +8 on the mixer, +20 is far too high and inter-sample peaks can cause distortion.

If it's a 24-bit system this should be fine and any adjustments made in the DAW.

If you are recording with a 16-bit system, then the standard was that 0VU was set to -12dBFS, still peak at +8 max., but you have to be more careful than with a 24-bit system.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by John Willett; October 6th, 2008 at 06:41 AM.
John Willett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio