Will Sennheiser have a support program for wireless Block C owners ? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 6th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mayer View Post
Hi John - nice to see you here! Any idea when the mobile licence (memory bank 6 on G2 version E systems = Channel 69?) question is likely to be resolved in UK?

Are we talking weeks, months, years....or waiting on some particular external decision or development?
Hi Martin,

I found this from someone linking on another forum.

I have no idea about Ch.69 at all. First they said it would be safe, then it pops up in the proposed pan-European frequency set (I forget for what).

I think it will be around until 2012 as they will need every frequency they can get for the Olympics. But I have no concrete idea as to what and when at all.

All I know is that the de-regulated frequencies are safe as that is by ETSI agreement.
Old October 6th, 2008, 08:20 AM   #17
Inner Circle

So I can set aside 4 receivers, and consign the remainder to the junk pile! The price of an hours labour plus two RF boards is a substantial proportion of the brand new cost, let alone residual value after you've had them a few months/years.

Users in the UK, with less than four systems can use the de-reg channels, but four channels doesn't go very far - does it? The funny thing is that John is in the same position as everyone else - manufacturers don't seem to be given any advance warning, and when the research on radio mic users was compiled and published, as usual - it seems very little attention is being paid?

As for 2012 and the Olympics -this is when we really find out how well UK frequency planning works. Sennheiser know how many systems they have sold in the UK, so should be aware how crowded the band is with just their kit in every pub/club/disco/nightclub/theatre - let alone the broadcasters. I'd guess that most of these users just found an empty channel and used it - certainly most visiting user's systems coming through my venue don't seem to be on the channels my racks are licensed for!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
So I can set aside 4 receivers, and consign the remainder to the junk pile!
No - sell them s/h to people who want licence-free channels.

Quote:
manufacturers don't seem to be given any advance warning, and when the research on radio mic users was compiled and published, as usual - it seems very little attention is being paid?
Most manufacturers know what's going on, but it's still very up in the air for Ch.69 at the moment.

Quote:
- certainly most visiting user's systems coming through my venue don't seem to be on the channels my racks are licensed for!
Most people just seem to buy and switch on - and likely to be illegal, unfortunately, as dealers don't give the info.
Old October 21st, 2008, 10:58 AM   #19
DVCreators.Net

Here is the official response.

October 21, 2008

Spectrum Reallocation & White Space
An Explanation and Current Developments

Many questions have surfaced in recent weeks over the actions of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regarding digital television, spectrum re-allocation, and wireless microphone technology. These actions have an impact on the current professional wireless microphones. The following information is published in order to reduce misunderstanding about these issues.

How is the TV spectrum being reallocated?
The U.S. is in transition from conventional analog TV to digital TV. This is scheduled to be completed on February 17, 2009. At this same time, the reassignment of TV channels 52-69 (698 – 806 MHz) will be completed. This band will partially be used for emergency communications in channels 63, 64, 68, and
69. The rights to use the majority of the remaining channels were auctioned to AT&T, Verizon, and Qualcomm to provide what is being termed as advanced wireless services (AWS). This raised billions of dollars for the federal government and was therefore called the digital dividend. This will affect wireless microphones operating between 698-806 MHz (generically called the 700 MHz band), such as our evolution wireless C range systems.

Is this the White Space issue I’ve been hearing about?
No. The White Space debate is separate and distinct from the digital dividend.

Will my C range evolution wireless system operate after February 2009?
Technically systems will still work. However, wireless mics will be prohibited to operate between 698 – 806 MHz in the near future. This restriction could go into effect as early as February 17, 2009. It is likely the FCC will make an announcement after their meeting scheduled on November 4th, 2008.

What is the White Space debate?
The FCC is considering to allow a new class of unlicensed consumer electronic products, known as white space devices (WSD), to operate in locally unused UHF TV channels 21-51. If enacted, these new devices would also affect wireless mic users.

The debate centers on how current licensed devices (wireless mics are considered to be licensed devices by the FCC) will be protected from these new unlicensed white space devices (WSD). The FCC has acknowledged the need to prevent interference from white space devices to digital television signals and wireless microphones. The FCC recently conducted tests on WSD prototypes and published a report

in mid October. A link to this report is referenced below. Once again, we expect further FCC action after their meeting on November 4th.

What has Sennheiser been doing regarding the White Space debate?
Sennheiser has been directly communicating with the FCC and legislators making them aware that the term “white space” is a misnomer since broadcasters, film producers, and professional entertainers have been using licensed devices, such as wireless microphones and monitoring systems, in this spectrum for years. Therefore major news, political, sports and entertainment events would not be able to operate reliably if the spectrum was randomly flooded by new unlicensed devices. To demonstrate this point, Sennheiser participated in the FCC field tests of WSD prototypes.

Sennheiser has also been deeply involved in helping to shape response to the FCC through the Professional Audio Manufacturers Association, the Sports Video Group, and the Microphone Interests Coalition.

What about the future?
It is certain that the amount of spectrum available for wireless microphone use is shrinking. The 700MHz range will no longer be available for use for wireless mics. The remaining usable UHF spectrum may become smaller, or it may be shared with new devices. No matter what happens, Sennheiser will continue to support wireless microphone use with the most flexible products and service available.
Sennheiser is continually developing unique ways to face new challenges with the same reliability that has always characterized our products.

Explanation of Recent FCC Activity
There have been two recent communications from the FCC that have caused heightened anxiety:

Notice of Proposed Rule Making banning wireless mics from the 700 MHz band
This NPRM can be read in its entirety at: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...hmatch/FCC-08-
188A1.pdf http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-284758A1.pdf

Sennheiser had predicted this action. That's why we advised our customers back in early 2007 that the FCC was likely to impose restrictions on operating wireless mics between 698 MHz and 806 MHz. We therefore eliminated systems operating in this range from our regular assortment and made them available only based on a special order.

Sennheiser submitted a detailed response to this proposal on Oct 3rd and again on Monday, Oct. 20th. We are lobbying hard for a measured migration out of the 700 MHz band that includes a grace period that would allow existing users to continue to operate in this band on a non-interference basis. The full comment to the FCC is posted on the following webpage:

Sennheiser USA - RF Spectrum Reallocation

The White Space Technical Report
The FCC executive summary can be found at: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-
08-2243A2.pdf

This report relates to spectrum sensing capabilities of proposed white space devices (WSD). Other than the FCC stating that "...we believe... the ‘proof of concept’ has been met," there is nothing new in this
report.

1) WSD devices would still be required to detect and avoid wireless mics
2) Fixed WSD are being considered ahead of the more problematic portable units
3) More development is required on WSDs to meet the performance standards that have been set

Furthermore, there is also a proposal being considered that would dedicate at least two TV channels in every market for wireless microphone use. Major events, such as sports, would have additional channels reserved.

The bottom line is this: wireless mics will continue to be used throughout our nation. The FCC has scheduled a discussion and may vote on these issues on November 4th. We will distribute the results of this vote as well as a detailed analysis of what this means to wireless mic users. In the meantime, feel free to contact me with further questions.

Thank you.

Joe Ciaudelli
860-434-9190 Ext. 508
SENNHEISER ELECTRONIC CORP
Old October 21st, 2008, 11:08 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Dear Guy,

Thank you for posting this information.
Old October 21st, 2008, 12:32 PM   #21
Major Player

Yet in all of that, they really did fail to address most people's concern, which is what can I do with my 'C' block? Seems their answer is 'wait and see'...

Wayne
Old January 18th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #22
Major Player

Anyone have more info on this? Anything new? Yes, I have a C-Block set. Grrrrrr.
Ryan Douthit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 12:13 AM   #23
Major Player

There is this...

Sennheiser USA - 12.16.08 - News

and this...

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/media/p...nge_Rebate.pdf
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #24
Major Player

Thanks for the link, Greg.

Oh, great. In my case it's a $60 rebate for an otherwise perfectly fine G2 system. Makes more sense to just keep it for the rare times I have to shoot in Canada or abroad.
Ryan Douthit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #25
Trustee

Sennheiser USA is offering a rebate program, and although it seems more complicated than it needs to be, at least it's something, read about it here: Sennheiser USA - Wireless Microphone Systems //Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio