AIFF to MP3 on Mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 29th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #1
Trustee

AIFF to MP3 on Mac

I recorded the sermon at our church yesterday for two purposes: firstly to try out making them available as a video on an iPod instead of the audio tapes and CDs we have done up to now, and secondly to capture an audio version for our linked church to put on their website.

The first was no problem and the iPod version is done, but I need to make an MP3 file from the audio track of the video file to upload to the linked church's website. I have extracted a full quality AIFF from the original DV 16:9 SD file but I can't find a way of exporting from Quicktime Pro to MP3, even by way of iTunes (I thought it could convert files to MP3?).

Is there something free or cheap that will let me create MP3s from an AIFF with different compression options or would someone explain patiently how I do it with iTunes 8/Quicktime Pro?

TIA
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Switch

I use a program called Switch, it works well. Just google Switch for Mac
Sacha Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

iTunes can convert to MP3. Change the format you're converting to in the Preferences, under General -> Import Settings Button (on a mac). Then import the file, right click, and hit convert to mp3.
Jeffery Magat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #4
Tourist

Garageband will convert to MP3 too, if you have that (I think most Macs come with it?). Just drop your audio into a new track then Export to Disk.
Russell Sobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks for all the help. Job done!

Now online at
http://www.carmylechurch.co.uk/compo...028th%2008.mp3

In my defence, we have a very resonant church. I did a belt and braces with a shotgun and a G2 radiomic on 2 separate channels (the preacher was also wearing another Senny Freeport for the PA) and was intending to use the better sounding one. In the end I left both channels on as a pseudo stereo.

Last edited by Colin McDonald; September 29th, 2008 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Link added
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio