Shure FP32A Field Mixer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 29th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shure FP32A Field Mixer

What do you think of this field mixer? Anyone got any good or bad experiences with it?
Any owners?

So far I have only worked with SQN in its different models and also Wendt...

Regards
Vvicente Villaescusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vvicente Villaescusa View Post
What do you think of this field mixer? Anyone got any good or bad experiences with it?
Any owners?

So far I have only worked with SQN in its different models and also Wendt...

Regards
32A is really old technology. I used one for years. I would term it "middle of the road". They are okay but not in the same league as Wendt, Sound Devices, PSC, etc. I will say that Shure does have great repair service, quick, efficient, etc.

Since I switched to PSC mixers though, have never had to use the repair service so that is even better. Unless you are getting a killer low price deal on a used one, I would look at Sound Devices or PSC personally.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #3
Contributor

The FP32A was replaced by the FP33 probably about 10 years ago, more or less. The FP33 is the most used mixer around here. If you can get a good deal on a used FP32A in good condition, you might want to compare the specs side by side with the FP33 and see if it's within a tolerance for the type of work you do.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 04:56 PM   #4
Slash Rules!

The way I understand it, the FP33 was the standard for a long time. Then, maybe 4 years ago, the Sound Devices 302 came out, and now most sound guys have migrated to that mixer, though I still know a few using the 33.

Sound Devices new is around $1300, and for some insane reason, so is the FP33 (sometimes even WAY more!), even though, according to almost everyone, the SD is clearly superior. I got a used a FP33 off ebay in fine condition for under $600. That's the way to go if you're looking at that mixer. a used SD302, on the other hand, seems to go for nearly the price of a new one, so almost no point in buying used.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 06:09 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks to everyone, it seems then not to be the right mixer for me, as I'm looking for something top end, can you give me more info about PSC, never heard about them...

I will keep researching and testing
Thanks again
Vvicente Villaescusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #6
Major Player

For top end no need to look any further than Sound Devices 302 or 442 (3 and 4 channel resp.) SD302 is smaller and a bit simpler, 442 bigger and more feature ladden, but both have exellent sound quality.
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petri Kaipiainen View Post
For top end no need to look any further than Sound Devices 302 or 442 (3 and 4 channel resp.) SD302 is smaller and a bit simpler, 442 bigger and more feature ladden, but both have exellent sound quality.
Audio Mixers

I tend to agree. Even though I use the PSC M4 MKII, it is a great mixer for the money but it is not made any longer, PSC updated to newer models. I like the PSC product a lot, it is good stuff but the industry standard is Sound Devices. Keep in mind that you will pay a lot more for SD stuff too though. For a medium budget mixer, PSC is really nice but if you want the best and can afford it, SD is the king of EFP mixers (not for features and high end tv though, those guys mostly use bigger digital mixers these days).

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 08:35 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I bought the 32A and used it for years. I've used the 442 since it came out but I keep the old 32A for a back up or throw away (for instance We did a shoot in a cave where it was wet and muddy so I pulled out the 32A). If you don't already have one I wouldn't buy one. unless you were in that 'throw away' situation, and it was cheap.
good luck
Allen Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 07:04 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I used an original FP-32 for years, long before I got an SD. Went all over the world in the harshest of conditions. Dropped it many times. It got wet as well. Never crapped out but eventually all the pots needed to be replaced.
As I understand it, pots are no longer available for the 32A. Which I think was not the case with the original FP32 which used generic potentiometers. Of course I could be wrong.
The original FP32 WAS noisy, but had rather pleasant sounding pre-amps.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio