Sennheiser MKH 435 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 30th, 2008, 06:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sennheiser MKH 435

Anyone owns this mic? What situation is good at? I am gonna test one and would like to know more about it cause there's not much info about it on internet...
Vvicente Villaescusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 08:29 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vvicente Villaescusa View Post
Anyone owns this mic? What situation is good at? I am gonna test one and would like to know more about it cause there's not much info about it on internet...
Don't know much about it except a brief search on the web turns up that it is likely to really be an MKH835T mic, which means it's a "T-power" mic that won't work with current generation phantom power sources. It needs the specific 12-volt "T-power" or "A/B Power" power supply and plugging into phantom could damage it.
Old October 6th, 2008, 06:08 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
Quote:
Don't know much about it except a brief search on the web turns up that it is likely to really be an MKH835T mic, which means it's a "T-power" mic that won't work with current generation phantom power sources. It needs the specific 12-volt "T-power" or "A/B Power" power supply and plugging into phantom could damage it.
The MKH 435 is a T-powered microphone that was discontinued in the late 1970's.

It's only similarity with the MKH 815 is that it is of the same era and t-powered.

The 435 is a cardioid mic. with a broad pick-up pattern.

The Owners Manual with all the details you need is on the Sennheiser website HERE.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by John Willett; October 6th, 2008 at 06:40 AM.
John Willett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Hello Vvicente,

I have a 435T and was told by Sennheiser that it was a TV broadcasters' desk mic.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
I have a 435T and was told by Sennheiser that it was a TV broadcasters' desk mic.
It can be used for this, of course; but it is in fact a general purpose mic. that can be used for a wide variety of recording purposes (see the Owners Manual I lnked to above).
Old October 7th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Yes, of course, as a cardioid it can be used for lots of stuff.

It's a bit bright and hasn't been made for a number of years, so what you have there is a functional antique, but so is a Neumann U 67 and they are still highly prized by some folks.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 04:57 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thank you some much for the info so much
I am gonna start testing this old but beautiful mic this days and will let you know
I am also checking how to use the electrosound ABF3 T-Power for the mic, if I can I will attach you a picture next time, but its basically a box with an input and output (both canons XLR obviously). On the front it says "tape recorder" and it has a saying "Avoid flat batteries!!Do not leave unit with battery test selected" (quite funny uh). There also a chart with "dB" (Y) and "frequency Hz" (X) which is explain what each of the number does for the frecuency. So position "0" wont cut any low frequency, and then up to "3" which would cut in 10dB on 100Hz.
On one of the sides it has a knob switch (to select the high pass filter) with selection which goes from "off" to an odd simple, something like a musical note(but its not) and then it goes up to "1", "2" and latest "3". It also have a switch with 2 options "10" or "20" (no doubt these two are either 10 or 20dB). Is there a way I could use this microphone with my Mbox 2 Pro (it doesnt have t power) through the electrosound abf3? If not, is it true that i would just be able to use it through my PSC mixer?
Old October 10th, 2008, 05:26 AM   #8
Major Player

The ABF3 (that brings back memories) is a little T (AB) power box that used a couple of PP3 batteries to power the mic. It was boilt in an Eddistone die-cast box and you had to remove the four screwsto change the batteries - these often got lost and the box was held together by gaffer tape.

It will *not* work plugged into any socket with phantom power.

However, the best and easiest way to power it is to use a Canford Audio PHANTOM TO T-POWER CONVERTER.

This is an in-line XLR to XLR barrel with an internal circuit that takes 48V phantom power in and outputs 12V T-power for the microphone.
Old October 10th, 2008, 05:29 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
... Is there a way I could use this microphone with my Mbox 2 Pro (it doesnt have t power) through the electrosound abf3? If not, is it true that i would just be able to use it through my PSC mixer?

You could also get one of these ... Trew Audio - Mic Accessories - Mic Power Accessories - PSC 48V Phantom to 12V T Power Barrel Adapter

Looks like John and I are posting at the same time! LOL
Old October 10th, 2008, 07:25 AM   #10
Regular Crew

If I buy one of those T power to 48 V adapters that you guys are recommending me, would i still need that little box (the electrosound abf3)????
Old October 10th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
If I buy one of those T power to 48 V adapters that you guys are recommending me, would i still need that little box (the electrosound abf3)????
Nope, not needed
Old October 10th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
No, it takes the place of the ABF3. It takes the phantom power you already have and turns it into 12V T-power for the mic. So no batteries to change.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio