DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   MKH416T and AD261 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/135032-mkh416t-ad261.html)

Jonathan Morrow October 1st, 2008 04:18 AM

MKH416T and AD261

Hi all, I am having aproblem wiring up a cable to connect a sennhesier MKH416T to an AD261. The AD261 has T power so I assumed it would be easy, but it isn't. I found a wiring diagram for the MKH but it appears that there are 2 version (MK416T and MKH416T-U) with different pinouts. I certainly have the same earth pin as the T-U version (pin 1), but there is no "U" marked on the body. Also, I am not sure exactly which pin should go high and which should go low, i.e how the other 2 pins should be connected. The manual says that pin 1 goes positive wrt pin 3 for the MKH416T, so I am assuming that pin 2 goes positive wrt pin 3 for the MKH416T-U.

So my questions are:

1. Should I see a "U" stamped somewhere on the MKH416T if it is infact the T-U version.
2. Which way round should I connect the 2 remaining pins?
3. Are there any known issues with the AD261 to MKH416T?
4. Might it be that my mic is bust? I know the phantom power on the channel I am testing is good, but I have never tested the T power (it does produce +11V on pin 2)

Cheers

Jon

Steve House October 1st, 2008 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Morrow (Post 945458)
Hi all, I am having aproblem wiring up a cable to connect a sennhesier MKH416T to an AD261. The AD261 has T power so I assumed it would be easy, but it isn't. I found a wiring diagram for the MKH but it appears that there are 2 version (MK416T and MKH416T-U) with different pinouts. I certainly have the same earth pin as the T-U version (pin 1), but there is no "U" marked on the body. Also, I am not sure exactly which pin should go high and which should go low, i.e how the other 2 pins should be connected. The manual says that pin 1 goes positive wrt pin 3 for the MKH416T, so I am assuming that pin 2 goes positive wrt pin 3 for the MKH416T-U.

So my questions are:

1. Should I see a "U" stamped somewhere on the MKH416T if it is infact the T-U version.
4. Might it be that my mic is bust? I know the phantom power on the channel I am testing is good, but I have never tested the T power (it does produce +11V on pin 2)

Cheers

Jon

I would strongly suggest you send an email to Sennheiser's service department, including your mic's serial number, and get definitive word directly from the horse's mouth.

Jonathan Morrow October 1st, 2008 05:10 AM

Clearly a very sensible approach, I do sometimes find myself looking so closely at the detail that I miss the obvious stuff. I have just popped an e-mail off to them now. Cheers. Jon

Jonathan Morrow October 3rd, 2008 03:38 PM

No reply yet from the Senn...

John Willett October 6th, 2008 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Morrow (Post 945458)
Hi all, I am having a problem wiring up a cable to connect a Sennhesier MKH416T to an AD261. The AD261 has T power so I assumed it would be easy, but it isn't. I found a wiring diagram for the MKH but it appears that there are 2 version (MK416T and MKH416T-U) with different pinouts. I certainly have the same earth pin as the T-U version (pin 1), but there is no "U" marked on the body. Also, I am not sure exactly which pin should go high and which should go low, i.e how the other 2 pins should be connected. The manual says that pin 1 goes positive wrt pin 3 for the MKH416T, so I am assuming that pin 2 goes positive wrt pin 3 for the MKH416T-U.

So my questions are:

1. Should I see a "U" stamped somewhere on the MKH416T if it is in fact the T-U version.

To answer your questions:-

1) The 416T has a Tuchel (screw-lock DIN) connector and the 416T-U has an XLR connector - so it should be clear which is which.

2) The two connectors are connected very differently!

XLR
Pin 1 = screen
Pin 2 = +ve
Pin 3 = -ve

Tuchel (DIN)
Pin 1 = +ve
Pin 2 (the middle one) = screen
Pin 3 = -ve

3) No known issues at all.

4) If you tried to put 48V phantom into a T powered microphone you may have damaged it.

I hope this helps.

Jonathan Morrow October 11th, 2008 04:04 PM

Hi John

Thanks for that technically precise reply. I definitely have the 416T-U version then, and connecting straight through from my AD261 pins 1-1, 2-2 and 3-3 should see me getting sound. But I don't. So I guess I bought a dud mic. I'll have to start looking around for a servicing company, unless these could be serviced at home? I phoned up my local hire co in Liverpool, but they can't even cover their own gear at the moment. So, if I don't hear anything from cyber space I shall have a pop and open her up.... I guess Sennheiser is the only place for spares?

PS I followed your link, and it looks very interesting. I do think though that the text regarding the BARC could do with a once over by a politically-correct filter - the word commencing "hand" is no longer in common usage. I accept that it has been a few years since tape gave way to digital media...

John Willett October 11th, 2008 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Morrow (Post 949739)
Thanks for that technically precise reply. I definitely have the 416T-U version then, and connecting straight through from my AD261 pins 1-1, 2-2 and 3-3 should see me getting sound. But I don't. So I guess I bought a dud mic. I'll have to start looking around for a servicing company, unless these could be serviced at home? I phoned up my local hire co in Liverpool, but they can't even cover their own gear at the moment. So, if I don't hear anything from cyber space I shall have a pop and open her up.... I guess Sennheiser is the only place for spares?

Are you using T-power? It won't work from phantom.

If it's faulty ring Sennheiser UK for a returns number (assuming you are in the UK).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Morrow (Post 949739)
PS I followed your link, and it looks very interesting. I do think though that the text regarding the BARC could do with a once over by a politically-correct filter - the word commencing "hand" is no longer in common usage. I accept that it has been a few years since tape gave way to digital media...

Thanks for that - one of those things written years ago and copy/pasted without being fully read. I have asked the webmaster to change it - thanks.

Jonathan Morrow October 12th, 2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett (Post 949742)
Are you using T-power? It won't work from phantom.

Yes, I have been trying it on T-power. I tested the pinouts from the AD261 and I get +11V on pin 2 and continuity on pin 1 to the chassis, I wasn't sure how to check pin 3. But I know the phantom power side of the same channel works fine...

Quote:

If it's faulty ring Sennheiser UK for a returns number (assuming you are in the UK).

I guess I shall have to do that.

Quote:

Thanks for that - one of those things written years ago and copy/pasted without being fully read. I have asked the webmaster to change it - thanks.

No worries.