MKH416T and AD261 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 1st, 2008, 05:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 46
MKH416T and AD261

Hi all, I am having aproblem wiring up a cable to connect a sennhesier MKH416T to an AD261. The AD261 has T power so I assumed it would be easy, but it isn't. I found a wiring diagram for the MKH but it appears that there are 2 version (MK416T and MKH416T-U) with different pinouts. I certainly have the same earth pin as the T-U version (pin 1), but there is no "U" marked on the body. Also, I am not sure exactly which pin should go high and which should go low, i.e how the other 2 pins should be connected. The manual says that pin 1 goes positive wrt pin 3 for the MKH416T, so I am assuming that pin 2 goes positive wrt pin 3 for the MKH416T-U.

So my questions are:

1. Should I see a "U" stamped somewhere on the MKH416T if it is infact the T-U version.
2. Which way round should I connect the 2 remaining pins?
3. Are there any known issues with the AD261 to MKH416T?
4. Might it be that my mic is bust? I know the phantom power on the channel I am testing is good, but I have never tested the T power (it does produce +11V on pin 2)

Cheers

Jon
Jonathan Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 05:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Morrow View Post
Hi all, I am having aproblem wiring up a cable to connect a sennhesier MKH416T to an AD261. The AD261 has T power so I assumed it would be easy, but it isn't. I found a wiring diagram for the MKH but it appears that there are 2 version (MK416T and MKH416T-U) with different pinouts. I certainly have the same earth pin as the T-U version (pin 1), but there is no "U" marked on the body. Also, I am not sure exactly which pin should go high and which should go low, i.e how the other 2 pins should be connected. The manual says that pin 1 goes positive wrt pin 3 for the MKH416T, so I am assuming that pin 2 goes positive wrt pin 3 for the MKH416T-U.

So my questions are:

1. Should I see a "U" stamped somewhere on the MKH416T if it is infact the T-U version.
2. Which way round should I connect the 2 remaining pins?
3. Are there any known issues with the AD261 to MKH416T?
4. Might it be that my mic is bust? I know the phantom power on the channel I am testing is good, but I have never tested the T power (it does produce +11V on pin 2)

Cheers

Jon
I would strongly suggest you send an email to Sennheiser's service department, including your mic's serial number, and get definitive word directly from the horse's mouth.
__________________
Good news, Cousins! This week's chocolate ration is 15 grams!
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 06:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 46
Clearly a very sensible approach, I do sometimes find myself looking so closely at the detail that I miss the obvious stuff. I have just popped an e-mail off to them now. Cheers. Jon
Jonathan Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 04:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 46
No reply yet from the Senn...
Jonathan Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 06:19 AM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oxfordshire, UK
Posts: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Morrow View Post
Hi all, I am having a problem wiring up a cable to connect a Sennhesier MKH416T to an AD261. The AD261 has T power so I assumed it would be easy, but it isn't. I found a wiring diagram for the MKH but it appears that there are 2 version (MK416T and MKH416T-U) with different pinouts. I certainly have the same earth pin as the T-U version (pin 1), but there is no "U" marked on the body. Also, I am not sure exactly which pin should go high and which should go low, i.e how the other 2 pins should be connected. The manual says that pin 1 goes positive wrt pin 3 for the MKH416T, so I am assuming that pin 2 goes positive wrt pin 3 for the MKH416T-U.

So my questions are:

1. Should I see a "U" stamped somewhere on the MKH416T if it is in fact the T-U version.
2. Which way round should I connect the 2 remaining pins?
3. Are there any known issues with the AD261 to MKH416T?
4. Might it be that my mic is bust? I know the phantom power on the channel I am testing is good, but I have never tested the T power (it does produce +11V on pin 2)
To answer your questions:-

1) The 416T has a Tuchel (screw-lock DIN) connector and the 416T-U has an XLR connector - so it should be clear which is which.

2) The two connectors are connected very differently!

XLR
Pin 1 = screen
Pin 2 = +ve
Pin 3 = -ve

Tuchel (DIN)
Pin 1 = +ve
Pin 2 (the middle one) = screen
Pin 3 = -ve

3) No known issues at all.

4) If you tried to put 48V phantom into a T powered microphone you may have damaged it.

I hope this helps.
__________________
John Willett - Sound-Link ProAudio and Circle Sound Services
President: Fédération Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Last edited by John Willett; October 6th, 2008 at 07:41 AM.
John Willett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 05:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 46
Hi John

Thanks for that technically precise reply. I definitely have the 416T-U version then, and connecting straight through from my AD261 pins 1-1, 2-2 and 3-3 should see me getting sound. But I don't. So I guess I bought a dud mic. I'll have to start looking around for a servicing company, unless these could be serviced at home? I phoned up my local hire co in Liverpool, but they can't even cover their own gear at the moment. So, if I don't hear anything from cyber space I shall have a pop and open her up.... I guess Sennheiser is the only place for spares?

PS I followed your link, and it looks very interesting. I do think though that the text regarding the BARC could do with a once over by a politically-correct filter - the word commencing "hand" is no longer in common usage. I accept that it has been a few years since tape gave way to digital media...
Jonathan Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oxfordshire, UK
Posts: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Morrow View Post
Thanks for that technically precise reply. I definitely have the 416T-U version then, and connecting straight through from my AD261 pins 1-1, 2-2 and 3-3 should see me getting sound. But I don't. So I guess I bought a dud mic. I'll have to start looking around for a servicing company, unless these could be serviced at home? I phoned up my local hire co in Liverpool, but they can't even cover their own gear at the moment. So, if I don't hear anything from cyber space I shall have a pop and open her up.... I guess Sennheiser is the only place for spares?
Are you using T-power? It won't work from phantom.

If it's faulty ring Sennheiser UK for a returns number (assuming you are in the UK).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Morrow View Post
PS I followed your link, and it looks very interesting. I do think though that the text regarding the BARC could do with a once over by a politically-correct filter - the word commencing "hand" is no longer in common usage. I accept that it has been a few years since tape gave way to digital media...
Thanks for that - one of those things written years ago and copy/pasted without being fully read. I have asked the webmaster to change it - thanks.
__________________
John Willett - Sound-Link ProAudio and Circle Sound Services
President: Fédération Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons
John Willett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #8
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Are you using T-power? It won't work from phantom.
Yes, I have been trying it on T-power. I tested the pinouts from the AD261 and I get +11V on pin 2 and continuity on pin 1 to the chassis, I wasn't sure how to check pin 3. But I know the phantom power side of the same channel works fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
If it's faulty ring Sennheiser UK for a returns number (assuming you are in the UK).
I guess I shall have to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Thanks for that - one of those things written years ago and copy/pasted without being fully read. I have asked the webmaster to change it - thanks.
No worries.
Jonathan Morrow is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:07 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network