Pocket Recorder for Wired Lav - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 19th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Vollmer View Post
I was also wondering how useable is the bracket 1 for handheld situations?

Is it heavy?

Is it cumbersome?

Is it unbalanced?

Trey
I have been using the Bracket 1 for about a year. Is it heavy? The Bracket 1 itself? No.

Is it cumbersome? Relatively, yes. You are adding one or two wireless receivers to the side of a smaller camera, with audio output cables to the side of the camera, yes, it is more cumbersome than a bare camera but all things considered, it is pretty slick.

Is it unbalanced? Yes, definitely. The camera will heavily lean to the right with one receiver and very heavily to the right with two recievers. That's the breaks. If you were using a big heavy 2/3" camera, wouldn't be a big deal but with a 5lb HVX, you will have sore wrists at the end of the day. Nature of the beast.

I have nothing but good things to say about the Bracket 1, excellent product. I just wish that good wireless receivers were a lot smaller and lighter than they are. I use with Lectro 400 series and with Audio Technica AT100 series. I shoot more with a tripod on the days I have to use two receivers ;-)

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Some pics

Hi:

I dug these up from my Prison Break shoots in Florida last year. Both show the Bracket 1 setup I use with the Lectro. It is quite a hefty little package. The long XLR in the one picture has a wired lav at the end of it. Like a good sound person, I never use wireless for sit down interviews, that is lazy and stupid. Since we alternate between on-set BTS, then nail the crew and actors for interviews periodically, I have to be ready for both.

Also note Hoodman (a must for the Florida sun) and Cokin circular polarizer on lens.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Pocket Recorder for Wired Lav-img_3378.jpg   Pocket Recorder for Wired Lav-img_3383.jpg  

Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Thank you all for the feed back.

Streamlining is a must in my opinion.

With that being said it's looking like I'll probably be opting for a receiver that can be mounted on my HV30 - black would be nice.

Trey
Trey Vollmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #34
Trustee

You might look at the Audio-Technica Pro88:
Audio-Technica | Pro 88W - Camera Mountable VHF | W88-68-830

Color is a dark gray with a black antenna.

You want to make sure you get one with the 830 mic. This mic is very good. It has the shape of a Tram. (Don't get the other mic offered. I think its the 829... not good.)

This unit will plug directly into the HV30 without any kind of adapter. This is the only unit in its price/quality category.

I have more expensive "pro" systems, but I still use 3 of these for certain things.

The receiver smaller and more lightweight than any other option. It uses a nine volt battery that lasts a pretty long time.

If you are in relatively close range, this unit is excellent in my opinion. Each unit comes in two switchable frequencies. I have always found that one or the other is working for me, and I am in L.A.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:46 PM   #35
DVCreators.Net

The Mic Mate would probably be your best bet if you want something really streamlined and balanced on an HV30. If you jump over to this thread http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/945307-post8.html
you can see a few pics of the Bracket1 Mini on my Sony SR11 palm sized camcorder. It definitely leans to the right... If you're interested in seeing it, I can get a shot of the Mic Mate with two receivers on it to give you an idea of what it looks like.

And yes, we're a proud sponsor of DVinfo.net so you can use the coupon code "dvinfo" to get a discount. So a refurb G2 set is 10% off of the $549 + with the dvinfo.net 5% off of that is about $474. Give a call and we'll hook you up. 1-877-353-8077
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
You might look at the Audio-Technica Pro88:
Audio-Technica | Pro 88W - Camera Mountable VHF | W88-68-830

Color is a dark gray with a black antenna.

You want to make sure you get one with the 830 mic. This mic is very good. It has the shape of a Tram. (Don't get the other mic offered. I think its the 829... not good.)

This unit will plug directly into the HV30 without any kind of adapter. This is the only unit in its price/quality category.

I have more expensive "pro" systems, but I still use 3 of these for certain things.

The receiver smaller and more lightweight than any other option. It uses a nine volt battery that lasts a pretty long time.

If you are in relatively close range, this unit is excellent in my opinion. Each unit comes in two switchable frequencies. I have always found that one or the other is working for me, and I am in L.A.
Do you know how it plugs into the HV30?

Is it the hot shoe?

Trey
Old October 19th, 2008, 10:18 PM   #37
Trustee

Quote:
Do you know how it plugs into the HV30?

Is it the hot shoe?

Trey
It has a mini-plug that plugs into the mic jack on the right side front of the camera.

To mount the receiver on the camera, their is a plastic piece that connects to the receiver then goes into the hot shoe mount. The unit sits horizontal, like a flying deck of cards over the top of the camera.
Old October 19th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
It has a mini-plug that plugs into the mic jack on the right side front of the camera.

To mount the receiver on the camera, their is a plastic piece that connects to the receiver then goes into the hot shoe mount. The unit sits horizontal, like a flying deck of cards over the top of the camera.
Thanks for the clarity.

Trey
Old October 20th, 2008, 02:27 AM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
I just did a side-by side....

...I couldn't hear any difference whatsoever - at least on the little speakers on the PC.
Come on this an audio forum! If you are judging audio on a pc speaker then you wont hear the difference.

eh rant over..
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 12:07 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Smallest Wireless Lav

Can anybody suggest the smallest, high quality wireless mic available?

Also, how difficult is it to wire talent under the shirt without sacrificing quality?

Trey
Old October 21st, 2008, 01:42 PM   #41
Trustee

Quote:
Can anybody suggest the smallest, high quality wireless mic available?

Also, how difficult is it to wire talent under the shirt without sacrificing quality?

Trey
Here you go, the Lectrosonics SMa:
http://www.lectrosonics.com/PressReleases/SM/SM-PR.htm
Lectrosonics - SM Series Digital Hybrid Wireless Transmitter
:Lectrosonics SMa | B&H Photo Video

These are very popular with film actors. The SMa has a single battery. The SMDa has two batteries.

Audio Technica has a new line of transmitters that are very small that are intended for stage use, but last I heard there is no camera mount receiver to match them. I also don't have any link to them.

The Lectrosonics is what you want if you want to stay at a reasonable price. You can get a transmitter and a receiver for only $2300. (That's with the 401 receiver. For only $425 more you can get the 411 receiver.) The mic will be another $200-500.

On New York stages Sennheiser units are predominant. They are small, but not as small as the Lectro, and they are quite a bit heavier. They are also a little more expensive than the Lectros, I believe, but still very reasonably priced for their durability. The Sennheiser might work well for you if you are going to use 13 or more at the same time. (However, Lectro has a new unit for multiple mics that looks good.)

Last edited by Jack Walker; October 21st, 2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:29 PM   #42
DVCreators.Net

The Countryman B6 probably takes the smallest lav award. However, the new Sennheiser MKE 1 is pretty dang tiny too!

Below you'll find a pic of the B6 on the left and pre-production model of the ME-1. I wasn't allowed to show this pic until now....I've been sitting on this for months lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Pocket Recorder for Wired Lav-pi5j5986-version-2.jpg   Pocket Recorder for Wired Lav-pi5j5990-version-2.jpg  

Old October 22nd, 2008, 07:32 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Cochran View Post
The Countryman B6 with the Sennheiser Evolution connector is the one we carry. On the Sony PCM-D50, you'll need to turn plug-on power in the menu. If I remember correctly, its smart enough to ask you if you'd like to turn it on when it senses a mic has been plugged into the MIC port.
Guy,

Does the Sennheiser G2 camera mount receiver receive more than one channel at a time?

I need a receiver that can record more than one channel (lav) at a time.

Also, do you think the countryman B6 would be a good choice for the Sennheiser G2 wireless?

Trey
Old October 22nd, 2008, 07:44 PM   #44
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Cochran View Post
The Mic Mate would probably be your best bet if you want something really streamlined and balanced on an HV30. If you jump over to this thread http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/945307-post8.html
you can see a few pics of the Bracket1 Mini on my Sony SR11 palm sized camcorder. It definitely leans to the right... If you're interested in seeing it, I can get a shot of the Mic Mate with two receivers on it to give you an idea of what it looks like.

And yes, we're a proud sponsor of DVinfo.net so you can use the coupon code "dvinfo" to get a discount. So a refurb G2 set is 10% off of the $549 + with the dvinfo.net 5% off of that is about $474. Give a call and we'll hook you up. 1-877-353-8077
Guy,

I would like having something like this.

Let me ask you this. I have a Canon DM-50 external mic mounted to the hot shoe of my HV30. Is it possible to feed a wireless receiver into the HV30 with the DM-50 still mounted?

Trey
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #45
Regular Crew

What does everyone think of this potential set up?

2 wireless lavs transmitting to a receiver on the hot shoe of my hv30 - DIALOGUE.

Record ambient sound separately with my Canon DM-50 and sync up in post.

???

Trey
Trey Vollmer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio