Wireless shotgun/Hyper via Senn EW G2 bodypack? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 17th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #1
Major Player

Wireless shotgun/Hyper via Senn EW G2 bodypack?

Hi there,

Does anyone know what cables do I need to connect a phantom powered condenser (via Denecke | PS-1A - Portable Single Channel 48V Phantom | PS-1A) to a Sennheiser G2 wireless bodypack receiver as regular XLR cable(s) to miniplug won't work even as I know the pin out of the Senn 3.5mm plug.

I assume that this is associated with the plug in mic power that the transmitter is trying to provide. Is the Remote Audio | Stereo Mini Phone to 2 3-Pin XLR Female | MCCAXY the right way to go then?

Thanks,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 08:20 AM   #2
Major Player

I'll answer myself after thinking a bit Remote Audio | Mini Phone Threaded Male to XLR | CASENSK100XM48

I assume this is the cable I need but it will cost about $100 when imported to Europe as the shipping costs are about $42 at minimum plus unrefundable VAT and customs fees.

Sad truth, no specialty cable makers inside the whole Europe that can be found on the net. EU is too multilingual to be effective, it will eventually fall because of that.

T

Last edited by Toenis Liivamaegi; October 17th, 2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old October 17th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Try this one http://www.videogear.co.uk/index.php...&productId=323

Should be cheaper, can't testify as to whether it is any good. Was going to try one myself.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
Try this one - Sennheiser CL2 Radio Mic Input Cable

Should be cheaper, can't testify as to whether it is any good. Was going to try one myself.

Dan
Interesting I thought that this was the "CL" cable for line level signals as referred on other sites.

T
Old October 17th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #5
Major Player

Basically you need an XLR-3F to lockable mini-jack cable - wired to tip and sleeve only.

As the mic. input of the G2 pocket transmitter is putting out plug-in power, you need blocking capacitors in the XLR to stop this getting to the mic.

Any Sennheiser main-agent should be able to make this cable for you.
Old October 17th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Have you thought about having a go at making the cable yourself? It's not really that hard. practice soldering a few things to a few other things, and once you get the hang of it, get the right plugs and cable together and have a go at it. You may be surprised at what you can do.
Andy Pronobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Pronobis View Post
Have you thought about having a go at making the cable yourself? It's not really that hard. practice soldering a few things to a few other things, and once you get the hang of it, get the right plugs and cable together and have a go at it. You may be surprised at what you can do.
Actually I have soldered quite a bit in my life from robust security circuits to listening devices but the question is that at present I do not know how to make a voltage blocker or whatever is needed for the bodypack to stop sending plugin power to the Denecke phantom supply or whatever else is needed for the cable to work. I just does not work with "just plugs and wires" configuration.

T
Old October 17th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #8
Major Player

Might be easier to just buy a Sennheiser SKP 500 G2 plug-on transmitter - it will provide the phantom power your mic needs, so you can throw away your Denecke PS-1A Phantom Power Supply, and the SKP500 will perform all the other functions of your bodypack transmitter - neater too!
Old October 17th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #9
Regular Crew

As a temporary workaround, I set up my boom guy thusly so he can hear himself:

416 either cabled to cf gitzo or internal coiled Ktek pole
XLR to Denecke phantom box
Phantom to Rolls PM OB
XLR thru from Rolls to SKP100G2 plug-in transmitter

It works well but a bit convoluted.
Sean McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi View Post
Actually I have soldered quite a bit in my life from robust security circuits to listening devices but the question is that at present I do not know how to make a voltage blocker or whatever is needed for the bodypack to stop sending plugin power to the Denecke phantom supply or whatever else is needed for the cable to work. I just does not work with "just plugs and wires" configuration.

T
put a 1 nanofarad (1 nF) ceramic (or polypropelen or tantalum) capacitor on any lead from the body pack that will provide power. any cap really as long as it isn't polarized. I dont know the pinout, but if you can provide it I can tell you where to put it.

lets say for instance that you have 2 pins, signal and ground, and the power is sent ont he signal line...

-----(Capacitor)-----------\
--------
-----(ground)-------------/

If there are 3 pins (TRS) and there were two signal lines...

----------(capacitor)--------\
----------(capacitor)---------\
---------
----------(ground)------------/

I hope those terrible pictures come out right. you're putting the capacitors inline with the signal wires. they will block any DC voltage (the power) and allow any AC voltage (the signal) to pass. Dont put anyhitng ont he ground lead.

--Andy P
Andy Pronobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 06:20 AM   #11
Major Player

Andy, the senn 3.5mm mini plug pin out is:

tip = microphone
ring = line input
sleeve = screen

So, I should solder a 1 nF nonpolarized cap on the mic tip and that's it, man, you saved me here.

T
Old October 18th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #12
Regular Crew

yep. That's correct. Make sure that it's wire---capacitor---tip terminal. You cant have any direct connection through anything but the capacitor, or it wont work.
Andy Pronobis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio