Free audio software to edit out hiss? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 22nd, 2008, 08:38 PM   #16
Major Player

Using PC. I went to audacity.soundforge to download. I tried to open import audio from a video clip. I showed it was loading...went halfway then the timer keeps going but the blue blocks that light up as mp3 file is loading...they just stopped loading as the clock ran to show how much longer it would take then later it crashes.

Thanks
Lisa
Old October 22nd, 2008, 10:18 PM   #17
Major Player

Don't I need to convert the avi file to wav, edit and then export as wav or mp3? I've come to find out audacity can't load audio from avi file. If this is correct, what converter or you using?
Lisa
Old October 23rd, 2008, 04:21 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Bennett View Post
I have a phono style plug from line out of the receiver into an xlr adapter and xlr cable into camera with input switch on "mic".
I nearly missed this in your post. For now, this should be the first thing you should correct... since you're going line out of the receiver, you should have your camera switched to line level as well... not mic level.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 04:42 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Lisa, in whatever NLE you are using you should be able to render the audio only to a WAV file then import into or open the file in Audacity and I agree with Bill. If you're using a phono plug check IT and if going from line out to mic in don't. change one or the other so they are the same and I THINK most if not all of your hiss will go away. (I mean the hiss you're getting from the audio not your hiss, I don't know you well enough to know if you hiss or not, maybe you do when you're mad...OK enough leave it alone;-) you can see it's very early and I've already been up a long time so I'm quite silly right now. Forgive me.

O|O
\__/

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 05:51 AM   #20
Major Player

Hi Don,

That's funny (LOL)...it's safe I don't hiss :) not even when I'm mad.

I had it on line but then changed it to mic. Now after so many tests, I forgot why I did it in the first place...

Anyway, will change it back and retest.

Unfortunately I don't have an AVID yet and using Pinnacle Studio Plus. I didn't see where it renders audio only...hope it does, that will save a step. I'll check it out today.

Thank you again!!!
LB
Old October 23rd, 2008, 06:29 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Lisa,
I'm a final cut guy, so I can't offer any advice on other software. However, I would try and find what is causing that hiss. Check the settings between the transmitter and the receiver. If the transmitter is a mic level and you're rcvr is a line level you are going have a very low audio source coming into your rcvr and when you add gain to get a -12db level you are going to be adding hiss into the audio. Coming out as a line level into your camera's mic level will produce more of an overdriven audio, not so much a hiss.
Lorne Mathre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:20 AM   #22
Major Player

Ok did another test.

I used an adapter so my cable would go from the mic our on receiver to camera (using xlr adater/xlr cable) camera mic switch to mic. I am able to get higher audio levels using mic to mic. I still have some noise but audacity will fix it. I did a test with audacity last night with another clip and it was really good with noise reduction so I'll test it with this more recent clip and see what I get.

Going from line out to line at camera, the levels are much lower and I had to put the camera audio dial levels both all the way up on 10 and the receiver was all the way up also.

So apparently when you run line out you have a cut in db's. correct observation?

Which is normally the best route, line out or mic out?
LB
Old October 23rd, 2008, 03:39 PM   #23
Inner Circle

using a mic use the mic setting. line setting is for circumstances like being plugged into a sound board line level output.
The noise you're hearing might very well be the cameras pre amp or it could just be noise from the particular wireless unit unit.
I use and AT dual channel receiver and a hypercaroid on my camera and with the hyper only running there is a "hiss" that I know is from the pre amp.If I use the AT receiver only while there is a noise it is barely noticable and in many cases not even worth bothering to remove.

Glad you got it going. (hisssss) ;-)

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 03:55 PM   #24
Major Player

it still has some noise but will have to go with it. For editing it will have a music track so maybe I can hide it :)

doing another test again tonight just to double check. be glad when I get a new mic yippee!
lb
Old October 25th, 2008, 07:24 AM   #25
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Bennett View Post
it still has some noise but will have to go with it. For editing it will have a music track so maybe I can hide it :)

doing another test again tonight just to double check. be glad when I get a new mic yippee!
lb
Why compensating on quality, my friend?

Unless it's painfully long, feel free to send it to me and I'll do my best clearing it for you in Audition.
Old October 25th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #26
Major Player

Hi Erez,

Thanks for the offer. If needed I'll be sure to let you know.

I checked out your site. Really like your demos!

Best,
Lisa
Old November 1st, 2008, 02:14 AM   #27
New Boot

Thank you very much, Lisa!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio