Eliminating a coughing audience member at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 24th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Eliminating a coughing audience member

Well, at least eliminating them from the recording, that is. Although there have been times when I wanted to eliminate them in a more fundamental fashion.

I was recording our band concert last week (Brass band, that is) and right in the middle of a very quiet baritone solo, someone coughed - or dropped something. It was hard to tell.

Either way, it added nothing to the performance.

I was able to nibble away most of it as it was just ahead of when the musician took a breath, but if I "nibble" any more it messes up the fadeout of the phrase.

I was wondering if there were any "tricks of the trade" that might let me get rid of more of it.

I'm using Vegas, but the question is more general

I can post the clip if anyone has any ideas.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 12:08 AM   #2
Trustee

adobe audition. Spectral view,fade selection. Done. Really that good.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 01:44 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Steve,

Thanks much. One error - I mistyped and said "Vegas" when I should have said "Sound Forge"

However, I also have Audition on the system so I"ll give it a shot.

Edit: Well I did and it worked well.
Old October 25th, 2008, 07:13 AM   #4
New Boot

Actually, yeah, I would love to listen to the clip, for pure pleasure!
Old October 25th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erez Henya View Post
Actually, yeah, I would love to listen to the clip, for pure pleasure!

Amen to that - I'm one of those odd-balls that really enjoy the sound of a concert brass band. One of my favourite CDs is "British Music for Concert Band" with the Central Band of the RAF playing music of Holst, Vaughn Williams, and Grainger.
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Me too, Did you enjoy 'Brassed Off'?
Nick Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Well, Central RAF Band we're not. I doubt we'd even be considered a Peripheral RAF Band. Or even a Remote RAF Band. Maybe ROUGH band would describe us better than RAF band

But it is a good group of folks. Most band members are retirement age (after all, it IS Tucson.) We have quite a few retired music educators in our midst, including a former university music professor and several retired high school band directors and music teachers. Also a smattering of performance majors who are attending the University of Arizona.

And then there are the rest of us, like myself. I started playing tuba in elementary school some 60 years ago, and haven't had enough good sense or respect for my fellow man to give it up.

I posted a couple of clips on another thread here
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/all-thing...side-side.html
comparing the Sony PCM-D50 with ...

Here's the before file I referenced in the first post in this thread Noise is almost at the very beginning of the file) Soloist at the begining is one of our U of A performance majors

www.j-e-andrada.com/Before.mp3

And the same file after

www.j-e-andrada.com/After.mp3

And one for fun (Ending is neat - and good mic test)

www.j-e-andrada.com/Tritsch.mp3

And one more because - well, I'm a tuba player

www.j-e-andrada.com/Toot.mp3

Hope you enjoy them
Old October 25th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Flowers View Post
Since we're happily off-topic... I remember my delight when the touring company of BLAST The Explosive Musical Celebration came to a theatre where we hold season tickets.

Combined two of my great enjoyments - marching band and musical theatre and experimentally elevated them both to interesting new places.

I know that here in America, our public broadcasting system did a nice video of the tour which I still greatly enjoy watching to this day.

Small clip examples on the show website: http://www.blasttheshow.com/
under "touring shows: multimedia

FWIW.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
Amen to that - I'm one of those odd-balls that really enjoy the sound of a concert brass band. One of my favourite CDs is "British Music for Concert Band" with the Central Band of the RAF playing music of Holst, Vaughn Williams, and Grainger.
Haha, one does not have to be an odd-ball to enjoy brass bands. I find there is something powerful yet personal, or intimate, if you want, in the way they deliver music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Flowers View Post
The trailer seemed awesome ("ma'am, is this man bothering you?" - "of course he is, he's my dad") haha, but unfortunately I have found the film not as funny or interesting in general.

From brasses to strings, I am really captivated by The Red Violin (directed by François Girard). A lot of passion was involved in the making of this great film, and it shows!
Old November 9th, 2008, 05:29 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Brassed Off

I suppose you had to be there to feel the cultural resonances of the film - pits closing, the rich and privileged waxing fat on workers' misery etc - but I thought the music of the band was beautiful, particularly the item at the beginning which the band called 'Orange Juice'. The real brass band that supplied the music was Grimethorpe Colliery Band, I believe.

'Oderint dum metuant'. Caligula.

Last edited by Nick Flowers; November 9th, 2008 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
Nick Flowers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio