Help with Connecting Mixer to Computer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 27th, 2008, 05:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help with Connecting Mixer to Computer

Hey Everybody,
I purchased an Alesis IO14 a couple months ago and it has been great for connecting the audio from my computer to my output monitors. Unfortunately, I'm moving to a 64bit operating system and of course Alesis doesn't have any drivers that will work with XP 64bit.

So, I managed to get a hold of a friend's mixer that he was letting go for a really low price. I know its not the greatest mixer, but basically I need it to do two things: Output sound from my computer to my BX5a Studio Monitors, and allow me to plug a mic into it once in a while to record voice overs. I have everything the mixer came with, but there isn't any kind of USB or Firewire port on this thing.

The mixer is the Eurorack UB1204-Pro. Here is a link to it:
Musician's Friend - Product Reviews - Behringer Eurorack UB1204-PRO Mixer

I've seen people talking about how they have it connected to their computer, but I can't find any explanations. Can someone please help me figure out what I should do? I need it to work in a 64bit environment.....I would appreciate any help!! :)
-Jordan
Jordan Orberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 03:27 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Orberg View Post
The mixer is the Eurorack UB1204-Pro. Here is a link to it:
Musician's Friend - Product Reviews - Behringer Eurorack UB1204-PRO Mixer

I've seen people talking about how they have it connected to their computer, but I can't find any explanations. Can someone please help me figure out what I should do? I need it to work in a 64bit environment.....I would appreciate any help!! :)
-Jordan
You have an analog mixer there and it doesn't have any provision for direct digital I/O. To connect it to your computer you also need an A/D converter, that is, your computer needs to have either an internal soundcard or an external audio interface. The mixer sends analog audio to the souncard/interface line in and receives audio from the line out.

Why the move to 64 bit? I haven't looked into it in detail but AFAIK all the major audio and video software is still 32 bit.
Old October 28th, 2008, 06:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you for replying! My computer has onboard sound -- will that work?

What A/D converter do you recommend? I'm guessing it attaches to the sound output in the back of my computer -- what does it plug into on the board?
Jordan Orberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 08:18 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Orberg View Post
Thank you for replying! My computer has onboard sound -- will that work?

What A/D converter do you recommend? I'm guessing it attaches to the sound output in the back of my computer -- what does it plug into on the board?
It's an either/or. The soundcard IS an A/D converter, though most of the on-board sound cards, those that are built in to the motherboard, are pretty marginal in quality. To use the on-board sound the mixer connects to the audio in and audio out of the soundcard, no additional A/D required. An external audio interfafce would replace it and plug into either a USB or Firewire port depending on the model.

With external audio interfaces you might be back into the same situation with 64 bit drivers as you are now. I use the Echo Audio AudioFire interfaces and their drivers DO support 64 bit Windows, other manufacturers I'm not sure, you'd need to check that out as part of your shopping process.
Old November 4th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I use an external USB device the Lexicon Alpha and have had good experience with the unit and it was only like $99 bucks (I believe). I run a Mackie 4ch mixer out into the two input channels of the Lexicon. So far it's been great.

I've stayed away from 64bit because not everyone has the drivers to support 64bit OS yet.
AVID 2.8, Sony Vegas 7, AE CS3, Photoshop 6
Allen Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio