Need Lavalier with standard XL3 connector - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 30th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #16
Major Player

True, I was thinking the other way around, 48v mics can operate with lower voltage, 5V mics not with 48V.
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #17
Trustee

Just a note,

Some lavaliers are hard wired to a power adapter and can then only be used hard wired.

Other lavaliers are wired so they can either plug into a little power adapter or plug into a wireless transmitter.

It there is a chance of using a wireless setup sometimes and hard wired sometimes, it is worth getting a mic with a removable power adapter and appropriate plug for the wireless transmitter.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
Good luck and let us know which one you order.

Dan
Hi Dan,

Read your article and the others that you wrote and linked to. I'm not an expert but better off than where I started. I opted for the AT899. I don't have a large budget and found these on the web for $199 each which I think is a pretty good deal. Listening to your example audio tracks (very nice touch!) at least to my tinny ears they sounded fine. I appreciate your help and advice.

Phil
Phil Hoppes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #19
Inner Circle

[QUOTE=Phil Hoppes;956907]Let me preface with I just purchased and returned some Audio Technica AT829cw Lav mic's. Noob issue, I did not realize that the XLR connectors are a proprietary 4 pin for use with their wireless transmitters and basically I bought the wrong thing. ...... I've been looking at the Audio Technica in particular and they have various models that ship with or without the power adapter. Since I have a mixer that can supply phantom power, I don't believe I need to buy a mike with the power adapter (correct?) but I'm not sure that the mic I want to get has the correct end.

>>No. You are about to make the same mistake. A powering module has circuitry that allows you to use an XLR with a phantom power supply.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Hoppes View Post
Hi Dan,

Read your article and the others that you wrote and linked to. I'm not an expert but better off than where I started. I opted for the AT899. I don't have a large budget and found these on the web for $199 each which I think is a pretty good deal. Listening to your example audio tracks (very nice touch!) at least to my tinny ears they sounded fine. I appreciate your help and advice.

Phil
Hi Phil,
I just want to add my to cents and recommend that you buy the cheapest mic that will do the job. You don't need broadcast quality for legal depositions. And you wont be too upset and when the mic is broken inadvertantly by a subject who does not take it off before going on a bathroom break.
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 06:10 AM   #21
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Ty Ford;957901]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Hoppes View Post
Let me preface with I just purchased and returned some Audio Technica AT829cw Lav mic's. Noob issue, I did not realize that the XLR connectors are a proprietary 4 pin for use with their wireless transmitters and basically I bought the wrong thing. ...... I've been looking at the Audio Technica in particular and they have various models that ship with or without the power adapter. Since I have a mixer that can supply phantom power, I don't believe I need to buy a mike with the power adapter (correct?) but I'm not sure that the mic I want to get has the correct end.

>>No. You are about to make the same mistake. A powering module has circuitry that allows you to use an XLR with a phantom power supply.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Thanks but no, what I did not realize the first time was that the 829cw's were replacement mic's for people that have the specific Audio Technica wireless mic transmitters. The 899's I purchased come with the power adapters which have the standard large 3 pin xlr inputs so this will work with my system.

And to Kevin's point, yes, that is what I figured. Audio Technica makes an 803 model that is about $40 cheaper so the 899's are the cheapest, but compared to everything else I found they seemed to fit. I'm sure like when I buy anything else....I'll find something cheaper the day after I get what I picked up but these arn't the $600 and up broadcast Lav's that are out there. Funny how the cost on these things seems to be inverse to their size also.
Phil Hoppes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio