DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   DIY Wind protector? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/137430-diy-wind-protector.html)

Wyatt Tessari November 8th, 2008 03:24 PM

DIY Wind protector?

I'll be recording sound for a short exterior scene tomorrow morning, and had it all figured out until I realised I didn't have a high wind protector available this time. It's saturday evening and the stores and rental places in Montreal that I tried contacting are all closed.

Wind is supposed to be 10-15km/h (about 6-10 mph), although the location is partially protected.

The mic I'm using is the Sanken CS1 short shotgun mic, and I have the black foam windscreen that comes with it, but I doubt it will do well on its own.

Is there any way to imitate a wind protector?

Dan Brockett November 8th, 2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyatt Tessari (Post 961158)
I'll be recording sound for a short exterior scene tomorrow morning, and had it all figured out until I realised I didn't have a high wind protector available this time. It's saturday evening and the stores and rental places in Montreal that I tried contacting are all closed.

Wind is supposed to be 10-15km/h (about 6-10 mph), although the location is partially protected.

The mic I'm using is the Sanken CS1 short shotgun mic, and I have the black foam windscreen that comes with it, but I doubt it will do well on its own.

Is there any way to imitate a wind protector?

To shoot in wind, you really need a full zeppelin, not just a slip-on windscreen. Anything you try to make from scratch with what is laying around the house is going to degrade the sound more than a zeppelin. You would have to craft something and run some tests to know if the loss of quality is acceptable for your needs and situation.

Can't think of anything you would have access to that would be even a poor imitation of a real zeppelin.

Sorry,

Dan

John Willett November 9th, 2008 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 961196)
Can't think of anything you would have access to that would be even a poor imitation of a real zeppelin.

For small mics, a sieve is perfect at creating the still air space necessary.

I can only think of a couple of sieves and some plastic garden netting rolled over them to make a tube, covered with the leg cut from a new pair of the wife/girlfriend's tights.

Toenis Liivamaegi November 9th, 2008 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett (Post 961334)
... covered with the leg cut from a new pair of the wife/girlfriend's tights.

Or you can cut your windstopper underwear to pieces, cover the outer netting with the softer breathing material and use the windstopper material suspended inside the tube or vice wersa. High tech's low end - nonfurry windjammer.

T

Cole McDonald November 9th, 2008 12:32 PM

A bit of gutter screen from the hardware store, chopsticks, hair binders, some costume fur and wire to put it all together. I've instructions somewhere on here or around.

Index of /Images/blimp

Some images of the mic setup I've got...I've switched out the mic stand as a boom pole with a 12' extendable aluminum painters pole with a 3/8" flare male to 1/2" Pipe Female brass adaptor which puts the paint pole on thread with standard mic holders. The blimp is comprised of gutter screen cover (for keeping leaves out of the roof gutters) cut to length and wired together into a tube, chopsticks and rubberbands as a shock mount and an old mic holder wired into place. Cover with costume fur sock and you're good to go.