Adr question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 8th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Adr question

I was editing a scene we shot on a busy street. The performances were good, the audio was not great in some of the takes.

I had the actors come in and re-record their dialogue. I got the new audio to match the video. I put another track of street noises on, at a lower volume.

The audio and sync look in sync, but something about it screams 'dubbed'! Something about them sounds like it was recorded in a room, which they were.

Any suggestions? I have clear audio that matches the video, so I guess I can't be too unhappy. But I'd like it to be a little better.

Any ideas? Any thoughts? I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 and Adobe Soundbooth CS3.
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

echo , reverb, that's something you got in a room, not in the street.
something too is proximity of the mic.
you have to equalize to find the best frequencies you will keep and cut.
start by cutting bass, increase medium.
there was a plugin for mic. modelling, i do not remember, but it is very powerful at recreating the sound of a particular space.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Like a sore thumb

The variables are almost endless, and trying to match location dialogue with dubbed lines is quite task. Even if the lines were dubbed perfectly to match the shoot there are always things like mic placement, proximity, type of mic used, ambience, environment, etc that all come into play. If you can, it would be ideal to dub your lines on location using the same gear used at the day of the shoot. That'll automatically bring in all the elements that you need to match with the original take. Also, if you've recorded sound on location throughout your production and then suddenly one scene is in a recording booth it'll obviously stand out.
Old November 9th, 2008, 02:08 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yeah, I'm betting you're getting reverb from the room you did the dubbing in.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks everyone. I dropped the bass as low as it could go, and that actually helped a lot. I might tweak some of it more, but it's not as bad as it was.

I don't think I'll fool anybody, but I think I'll get less reaction of 'What is up with the sound on this scene?!'
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 04:07 PM   #6
Contributor

I've only done a limited amount, but the main thing I've done is to use the same mic I did in the original shoot and keep it about the same distance from the talent, rather than having them up close as you normally would in a studio. I record in a fairly flat room but then mix in room tone from the original shoot (always get room tone, even outside)
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio