Rode NTG-3 - Deadcat Suggestions Please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 9th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Rode NTG-3 - Deadcat Suggestions Please

I have a Rode NTG-3 which I sometimes (have no option to) use on camera in windy conditions - like for some shooting I was doing today near Cambridge. I currently use a Rode suspension mount for this and all that's on the mic is the foam cover - i.e. not enough for this!

I have a Rycote S Series 330 which is pretty much perfect/superb for any off-camera sound capture in breezy conditions with the NTG-3 inside but would like to get a dead cat for covering my NTG-3 when I have to have it on the camera. I appreciate this will not be as good (!) but it would still be better than nothing - like what I needed to use today to stay totally mobile/work as a 1 man band.

I've looked hard at the new Rode WS7 but I don't really see me fitting this and the optional Pistol Grip handle on my EX3 with a NTG-3 inside, it's going to be pretty tall and bulky and much too cumbersome I think. Note: I read on here that just the windsock bit will not leave me enough room to mount the mic in my Rode suspension mount. Or am I wrong/is there a better way? I also have a deadcat for a Rode VideoMic but that is too short for the NTG-3.

Anybody got any (UK available) suggestions on a specific deadcat (make and model number) that I should look at for the NTG-3 please?

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; November 9th, 2008 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Typos
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #2
Trustee

Andy,

Your NTG-3 is 3 grams heavier and 22mm shorter than my NTG-2, in other words not much difference! The NTG-2 is 22mm diameter whereas the NTG-3 is 19mm.

I've mounted my NTG-2 with a Rycote 14cm medium hole Softie on top of my V1E using the Rode SM-5 mount in the mic holder, and it's not too bad at all, handling-wise. For the NTG-3, that would need a Rode WS7, or a small hole Rycote Softie - check out the length you need on: Rycote - Softie Windshield

That's as good as it gets for the fuzzy-type windshields, and while they're not bad at stopping slight breezes, they don't do much for an Irish Sea gale! I *have* seen a blimp type mount on a camera, but it looks very unwieldy (though probably OK on a tripod). Not sure I would fancy hand-holding my V1 with the Rode Blimp on top!!
Old November 9th, 2008, 11:10 PM   #3
Trustee

Check out these:

blimp windscreen, Cameras Photo, Electronics items on eBay.com
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 01:00 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Andy, I ran into the same problem with the NTG-3. Mounted on a Canon A1 there's no low cuts in the signal path anywhere you need a good windshield.

I've got the WS7, and I've seen the RODE dealer demo with a 12" oscillating fan at full speed 1' in front of the NTG-3/WS7 and you can just hear the wind. Off to the bar in conditions like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
I've looked hard at the new Rode WS7 but I don't really see me fitting this and the optional Pistol Grip handle on my EX3 with a NTG-3 inside, it's going to be pretty tall and bulky and much too cumbersome I think. Note: I read on here that just the windsock bit will not leave me enough room to mount the mic in my Rode suspension mount. Or am I wrong/is there a better way?
If you mean the new RODE PG2 pistol grip shock mount, when I first got it I thought no it's too bulky and heavy for cam mounting. It's Ok for handholding or on a boom, depends on the boom length and how much weight the op can hold.

But it could be used on a cam shoe mount, if you didn't think it's too bulky. You'd also need a 3/8 screw to shoe adaptor for cam mounting. AFAIK currently it's the only feasible option for a cam mic/one man operation. It certainly blocks wind and someone here said he was selling his zeppelin.

Dimensions. NTG-3/PG2/WS7 combo weighs 410gms. PG2 Base height to G-3, it's 205mm. From PG2 screw mount to front of WS7 is 240mm. WS7 length is 225mm, diameter, 95mm. Hope those can give you some idea.

The NTG-3/WS7 is too heavy for the RODE SM3-4-5 mounts.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 03:38 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thank you all for the very useful information!

It would seem from the above if I went for a Rycote softie I would need a 14cm with small hole (as the Rode NTG-3 is 19mm diameter) - problem is that it's not (unless I've missed it!) on the long list of options I've seen on Rycotes website (Rycote, are you listening?) They only seem to do a 14cm length in medium hole.

So that puts me back onto the Rode WS7 which looks like it's too heavy for Rode suspension mounts from Allan's comments....Rode, are you listening too?

I suspect I'll get a WS7 and then work out the best vibration resisting mount to hold it all given the short available length that will remain at the back end of the NTG-3. I wonder if anyone knows if the Rycote 19mm hole mic mount (with a shoe fitting) is "stiffer" than a Rodes SM suspension mount? (and so might take the weight?)

http://www.rycote.com/products/softi...nt/multimount/

The other option is I try and get slightly shorter O rings for the Rode Suspension mount to stiffen it up a bit (I've tried crossing these bands as discussed on another thread a while back but that's way too tight for my liking).

Thanks again.
Old November 10th, 2008, 06:05 AM   #6
Major Player

You need an 18cm SH Softie and CCA mount.
Old November 12th, 2008, 04:57 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Rode NTG-3 with WS7 and SM3 Mount - Success (Just!)

Thanks John. I realise that Rycote length would fit but was concerned that it will then stick out too far in front of my EX3 and get into the top of frame in any full wide shots.

Well, my new Rode WS7 arrived this morning. Very nice and a bargain at under £30! Not windy here today at all so can't vouch for it's effectiveness yet.

As stated by Allan it is indeed much too heavy for the Rode SM3 / SM4 etc. mounts with the mic drooping/grounding to the bottom of the mount at the front. So in the end I had to double cross all the bands to really tighten them up and it's certainly useable now. Very fiddly to mount the mic in that way (took a good 10 minutes!) so once it's on you'd want to leave it on....You also have to angle the mount very slightly up to get the mic and WS7 to sit roughly level but no matter. We'll see if the bands snap in use but Rode supplied spares anyway.

The other thing (as I feared) is that, with the WS7 on, the remaining mounting length of the NTG-3 is now very short for putting in the SM3 (about 6cm with the WS7 pulled right back, about 8.5cm max with the end of the WS7 rubber hole just clear of, i.e. behind, the last vent of the NTG-3). I'm sure Rode would not want us to block any of these vents!

So what I've done is put a short straight plugged XLR cable on it (rather than a right angled one) and this gives just a little more 'effective' length and comfort zone to mount it all in. This stops the WS7 potentially knocking against the protruding lower lip of these SM mounts. I might even hacksaw this protruding bit off the SM3 as it will give me a little more (0.5cm?) clearance between the back end of the WS7 and the front end of the SM3 and so reduce the knocking/rubbing risk.

I'll post a picture shortly as then you can see better. By the way, with it mounted I can do full wide and the WS7 is out of frame by about 2 cm or so. I'm sure it won't be as good as my Rycote S Series 330 on a boom with the NTG-3 in for those really windy days..... but for an on-camera solution for run and gun stuff when I have no choice/spare hands etc. I think it'll do just fine! A well spent £30!

Thanks again to all for the help.

OK, here are some pics.

1st shows close-up of the distance between WS7 and SM3. If you pull the WS7 all the way back it touches the SM3 (not pictured). In the position the WS7 is on this pic there is no obstruction of any vents on the NTG3 and the rear 'O' rings encradle the last 2-3 mm of the mic's body (the plug is a rock solid connection so no worries if the back is supported by the XLR cable plug anyway).
2nd shows 3/4 view - bit over exposed but these were quick grab pics!
3rd shows more of a side view so you can see how far forward the mic/WS7 assembly sits. As I said, the end is still out of shot with full wide...but I suspect would be in shot if I put one of the new Fujinon 0.8X wides on. I'm not that rich yet.....

Mike, you can see I'm taking good care of your old tripod! :-)

Hope this is useful!
Attached Thumbnails
Rode NTG-3 - Deadcat Suggestions Please-akw-ex3-rodews7-close-up-msp-.jpg   Rode NTG-3 - Deadcat Suggestions Please-akw-ex3-rodews7-msp-.jpg  

Rode NTG-3 - Deadcat Suggestions Please-akw-ex3-rodews7-side-view-msp-.jpg  

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; November 12th, 2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: adding pics, typos etc.
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 10:36 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Used the above in a pretty windy situation today out in a very exposed location. Results were surprisingly good. That WS7 is very effective and at least I got (just about...) audio I could use with an on-camera mic.
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks John. I realise that Rycote length would fit but was concerned that it will then stick out too far in front of my EX3 and get into the top of frame in any full wide shots.
Then the above-mentioned softie and a Rycote Multimount - maybe with a hot shoe extender to get it away from the camera.

You could also try the new InVision INV-7-HG suspension with hot shoe adaptor - this has the same "Lyre" shockmount as the S-series.
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #10
Trustee

Good to see the tripod getting used Andy!

Nice pics of the setup. For some reason I've never liked the mic on the shoe mount - I had that on my VX2100 and it seemed to make it very "tall", whereas the mic mount on the side of the camera was more compact. This made it easier to fit the whole ensemble inside my Kata bag as well.

The top mount does have the advantage of keeping the mic out of frame though. I made that mistake on one of my UWOL entries. When I used the Sony 0.8x wide angle I failed to notice the Rycote "fur" in the top right of the frame... d'oh!
Old September 27th, 2014, 02:46 PM   #11
Trustee

Re: Rode NTG-3 - Deadcat Suggestions Please

Quote:
Used the above in a pretty windy situation today out in a very exposed location. Results were surprisingly good. That WS7 is very effective and at least I got (just about...) audio I could use with an on-camera mic.
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread folks, but Andy, if you are still using your NTG-3, I was wondering if you still consider the WS7 adequate for moderate weather outside? I have a Rode Blimp if the wind is getting silly, but one day so far with a new NTG-3 seems to confirm the NTG-3 doesn't have the wind noise problems that the NTG-2 did round the back end at the XLR and the filter switch.

I could rise to a standard Rycote Softie if performs significantly better with an NTG-3 (but shall pass on the new Super-Softie® if only because I can foresee problems with people squeezing it like an old car horn!)
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Yes Colin. Still using it and, depending on the definition of moderate, it's fine for many of the scenarios I find myself in - when there is no time/option to mic things better than an on-camera mic, i.e. fast moving run-n-gun situations. I also use the Rycote Invision Video mount now.

However, whenever I can/if it's really breezy then (as you would) I usually now rope someone into holding a boom pole with my NTG-3 inside my blimp - Rycote S330 in my case (after a 30 second prep talk to them about where to point it/how near they can go without risking getting into my shot) as that is superior....One day I might be rich enough to have a real sound guy/lady!

In many situations I almost always put a Rode lav on the subject too. In breezy conditions it's rigged with the mini furry (or whatever they are called) that comes with that kit and, with careful positioning of the subject relative to the wind direction to help shield it, can yield surprisingly good results too.

If you google 'Bradbury Brothers support Magpas Helimedix' you can hear in the video both systems in action as I interviewed them in front of the helicopter just before a terrific storm hit. Simon has the Rode Lav on him (it's pretty obvious!) and Jason (he of the UK Channel 5's The Gadget Show fame) was captured via the NTG-3 within the S330 on a Rode boom pole. The wind is really bad at the end of the film (at one point I was worried it would blow my tripod and PMW-300 over!) and the heavens opened about 30 seconds after we ran for cover. WS7 would not have performed as well, even if used on a boom.

As to if the Rycote softie is superior to a WS7, then I would have to bow to the judgement of people who have actually got both - anyone?
Old September 28th, 2014, 12:28 AM   #13
Trustee

Thanks for the prompt and full reply, Andy, and also for the example - I can see a bit of movement from the tripod in the wind at the end.
I tend to use a boom wherever possible as well but could do with a lighter rig on occasion. Rode lav seems to do quite well for the low cost.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2014, 05:24 PM   #14
Major Player

Hi,
I have the NGT2 mic the one with the AA battery extention. I have to say nothing beats a Blimp. I built my own and it works great. It is bulky. That is the down side. Expecially if you are like me and what to connect your mic directly to the camera Hotshoe Mount. I have done it with an added extension mount. But to bulky for me so I finally ended up getting the Rode Video Mic Pro Shotgun and the Video stereo Mic. Much easier to use on my camera. I love the compact and light weight design.
I took some video with the stereo video mic in some heavy wind a while ago I have not listened to the video so I can't comment on how it performed. The video mic pro has a Dead Cat, or dead Kitten, I think the name is on the mic but no Blimp. So I am curious how this will perform. With my NTG2 mic Nothing worked except the Blimp.

John

QUOTE=Andy Wilkinson;961424]I have a Rode NTG-3 which I sometimes (have no option to) use on camera in windy conditions - like for some shooting I was doing today near Cambridge. I currently use a Rode suspension mount for this and all that's on the mic is the foam cover - i.e. not enough for this!

I have a Rycote S Series 330 which is pretty much perfect/superb for any off-camera sound capture in breezy conditions with the NTG-3 inside but would like to get a dead cat for covering my NTG-3 when I have to have it on the camera. I appreciate this will not be as good (!) but it would still be better than nothing - like what I needed to use today to stay totally mobile/work as a 1 man band.

I've looked hard at the new Rode WS7 but I don't really see me fitting this and the optional Pistol Grip handle on my EX3 with a NTG-3 inside, it's going to be pretty tall and bulky and much too cumbersome I think. Note: I read on here that just the windsock bit will not leave me enough room to mount the mic in my Rode suspension mount. Or am I wrong/is there a better way? I also have a deadcat for a Rode VideoMic but that is too short for the NTG-3.

Anybody got any (UK available) suggestions on a specific deadcat (make and model number) that I should look at for the NTG-3 please?[/QUOTE]
John Gerard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio