new to audio and need advice for ex1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 16th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

new to audio and need advice for ex1

i am new to the audio part of videography and now looking into what type of external audio gear would be good. I will be doing id say 60% interviews and the rest can range from weddings/music videos ect.. and was looking at the senn wireless G system with lavalier mics and the senn system with the boom pole and shotgun. is there a need to have both? or which one would be best for now to get me thru some of these assignments for the time being? i mean is the audio better with a lav attached to interviewee or using a shotgun with a boom? right now as i said im just really starting to get assignments and trying to gear up something that can get me a good quality product until things really start picking up and i can go all out.
Ron Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Yes, there is a need for both, plus some additional pieces of kit you didn't mention: a hypercardioid boom mic, a hand-held stick mic, hard-wired lavs, and a proper mixer. The shotgun on a boom is best in non-reflective environments such as an acoustically treated soundstage or exterior location work while switching to a hyper on the boom is a better choice for reflective locations such as typical residential and business interiors. You really need to have both available for maximum flexibility.

For some reason it seems that people always associate a lav mic with wireless - true, it's a common setup but wireless can compromise audio quality and is subject to interference, dropouts, etc. When one doesn't need the mobility that wireless allows, when shooting a sit-down interview for example, a better approach is a hard-wired lav cabled back to the mixer or camera. "Whenever you are able, always use the cable."
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #3
Inner Circle

What he said.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Boomed audio usually sounds better (much better), but the reality of it is you really need a second person to do the booming and mixing. For interviews, you may be able to get away with a boom mic on a holder of some kind, but that's a fair amount of setup there if you are running the camera as well. Me, I'd probably stick with wireless unless you are able to get someone to work with you. Setting up lights and operating the camera is a handful as it is. If you do go the wireless route (or wired lav as noted), invest in the best lav you can afford. It will cost nearly as much as the G2 system you're looking at. The AudioTechnica 1800 is another good system you may want to look at.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio