Turning a Shotgun to a Lavalier in post at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 19th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Turning a Shotgun to a Lavalier in post

Hey all,

I have edited a short to it's completion, and I realized how stupid of a continuity error I've made. Out of the laziness and maneuverable difficulty that we had as the entire short took place in a small taxi, we decided, for one particular shot, to remove the lavalier microphone from one of our actors and just take a couple lines from him using a shotgun microphone. Obviously, he now sounds completely different; even the average person can definitely hear the difference and brings it up to me as part of the feedback.

A stupid mistake, I know, and now I'm trying to fix it in post. Even if I have to go to a professional like Technicolor's post-production services in Toronto, is it possible to fix? Thanks,

Peter

*edit* Essentially I need his voice to be a bit bassier...
Peter Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 01:19 AM   #2
Trustee

Since there were only a couple of lines, can you just reshoot it? If not, ADR?
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #3
Trustee

If you can't re-record the lines (as suggested above), try putting it into your audio editor, such as Audition (or the free Audacity) and with the graphic equalizer bring down the higher frequencies and raise the mid and lower frequencies.

That would probably do from what you describe, unless there are big differences caused by proximity, background, etc.

In any case, someone with some basic experience with an audio progam should be able to match the two lines fairly well.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I won't be able to re-record as I'm actually on the other side of the country right now, but I'll definitely pull this into an equalizer and tweak around with it as per your advice, Jack. I'm pretty sure Premiere Pro CS3 has a relatively basic one that can do the trick; I'll update you on my results.

Thanks again,

Peter
Old November 20th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #5
Major Player

And if that proves difficult, you could do the old ' re-record it through the lav mic' trick.
Get the wireless lav you used and then stick it in front of the speaker and re-record the line through it. It will give you the same flavour.
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 02:11 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Well, I'm not too sure about your trick, Jimmy, since the real tonal differences the lav mic offers are due to its initial placement on the actors chest -- lots of its sound comes through the chest, not just the mouth.

Anyways, I tried fiddling about with the Equalizer with my only basic knowledge and it's surprisingly better but of course not great, but I'll leave that for another day. One thing that actually helped me was matching the room tone of that clip with the room tone of the lav recording (in this case, the car engine). Thanks again for the advice, folks.
Old November 21st, 2008, 07:17 AM   #7
Major Player

Well it's on top of eq. Works best for noisy radio tx/rx where the radio chain has a lot of colour/downgrading effect on the audio.

Just an idea. cheers
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio