DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Wireless Mics & Airport Security? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/138186-wireless-mics-airport-security.html)

Zack Wilson November 21st, 2008 11:38 AM

Wireless Mics & Airport Security?

Quick question :

Has anyone ever had any problems with wireless microphones getting through US/International airport security in a carry-on? We're shooting a short doc and my producer is concerned about this - but I don't want to throw the wireless kit in the checked luggage (or any equipment...ever). What about filming in an airport with the wireless? We wouldn't have permits, but we're hoping its a small enough and "home-video" like enough production not to have problems - but could there be?

- Zack

Don Bloom November 21st, 2008 02:22 PM

I've never had a problem getting gear thru security but shooting in the airport could be problematic especially once you clear thru security. Why not talk to the airport manager, explain what you're doing and get permission in writing. Thatway when the day to day security people (cops) stop you and ask what you think you're doing you're butt is covered, in writing. Airports today are not a place to try covert operations.
Of course this is just my opinion but then I'm a law abiding guy ;-)

Don

Don Bloom November 21st, 2008 02:24 PM

I've never had a problem getting gear thru security but shooting in the airport could be problematic especially once you clear thru security. Why not talk to the airport manager, explain what you're doing and get permission in writing. Thatway when the day to day security people (cops) stop you and ask what you think you're doing you're butt is covered, in writing. Airports today are not a place to try covert operations.

Don

Steve House November 21st, 2008 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 967044)
Airports today are not a place to try covert operations.

Don

And an eminently sensible one. TSA security types have no sense of humour at all.

Seth Bloombaum November 21st, 2008 04:46 PM

Agreeing with the above:
I've walked wireless through the carryon security checks many times with no questions raised whatsoever.

Filming inside an airport with anything other than the most basic consumer setup would guarantee an interview, I'd think. Wireless mics are not part of a consumer setup...

Zack Wilson November 21st, 2008 05:40 PM

Thanks for the help! I'll try to talk to a manager there, and if they aren't too keen on the idea, I'll just keep the camera away.

Cheers!

Marco Leavitt November 21st, 2008 07:42 PM

Dude, don't even try filming without permission. I really doubt you'll ever get official permission either.