DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Headphones and a microphone for interviews (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/138329-headphones-microphone-interviews.html)

Robert Bec November 24th, 2008 01:18 AM

Headphones and a microphone for interviews

Hi Guys

I need to buy some headphones for my sony z7 nothing huge which would you recommend.

I also need a mic for interviews which can plug into a xlr on the side of my camera

any ideas

Rob

Allen Plowman November 24th, 2008 01:40 AM

There is some good information about interview mics in this thread
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/all-thing...nterviews.html

There is some good information about headphones in this thread
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/all-thing...ting-ones.html

Petri Kaipiainen November 24th, 2008 05:49 AM

"Nothing huge" would be Koss PortaPro. Pro sound in cheap, small package.

John Willett November 24th, 2008 06:54 AM

I use the Sennheiser HD 25-1 for all location stuff with battery recorders - they are closed back (and designed to be worn one-eared if you want) and are extremely efficient (120dB) so they give a good level even from the weakest battery device.

They are also excellent at listening to detail.

There are several mics you can use - I would look at the Sennheiser MD 42 (omni), MD 46 (cardioid) and the Beyer MCE 58.

Bill Davis November 25th, 2008 02:23 PM

The most used headphones in video are Sony MD-7506.

Lightweight, relatively isolating, efficient - so they work well on underpowered camcorder circuits. You can get PARTS easily like new earpads when your originals wear out from use.

As to mics...

Go measure the space where you'll keep it. (Like a compartment on your camera bag)

If that space is small - order the short version of an Electrovoice EV-635a (Probably more of these knocking around in camera bags around the world than anything else because they're small, virtually indestructable, require NO care, and work every time, no excuses.

If it's medium sized, order a long-handled version of the same mic. (slightly longer handle makes it easier to hold out to an interviewee)

If you have a pocket that will hold something 8 or 9 inches long - order a Beyer M-58 - or an Electrovoice RE-50 are both almost as durable, sound marginally better (but for spoken work recording for video that's NOT a big deal and NOBODY will ever reject a recording properly made using any of these mics.

There are others - but these have been the "safest" choices for on-camera interviews for decades. And that wouldn't be true if they didn't all get the job done reliably.

John Willett November 25th, 2008 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Davis (Post 968905)
The most used headphones in video are Sony MD-7506.

In the USA maybe - in the UK the HD 25-1 seem to be the industry standard (though the Sony are also popular).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Davis (Post 968905)
Lightweight, relatively isolating, efficient - so they work well on underpowered camcorder circuits. You can get PARTS easily like new earpads when your originals wear out from use.

Exactly the same can be said for the HD 25-1.

But the Sony are only 104dB efficient, the HD 25-1 are 120dB efficient - but the Sony are lower impedance.

Rick Reineke November 25th, 2008 08:13 PM

(Bill Davis in AZ, I'm in NY) I concur with Bill, the USA standard is 7506 / EV RE50. (Of course that doesn't mean you can't use something else.) I own a few sets of 7506s, a 635a and RE50. The EV's are bullet-proof, the 7506s are not, but a about as robust as one could expect in HPs.

Tripp Woelfel November 25th, 2008 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett (Post 968158)
I use the Sennheiser HD 25-1 for all location stuff with battery recorders...
There are several mics you can use - I would look at the Sennheiser MD 42 (omni), MD 46 (cardioid) and the Beyer MCE 58.

I've been banging around with the HD 25-1s for a year and they are fantastic. Doing the one ear thing is easy and they do a very good job of isolating the outside world. I shoot a lot of race cars, so I'd know.

I also have an MD 46 and although I've only used it a few times in the field, where it's done well, I really love it for VO work. Much warmer sound than the ubiquitous Shure SM 58.

Ty Ford November 26th, 2008 05:56 AM

Yes, well, the SM58 is not really a VO mic. It will behave better if you put a 600 Ohm resistor across pins 2 and 3.

A sure SM7, now SM7b is a better choice for VO, but it's about 3x expensive.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Tripp Woelfel November 26th, 2008 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Ford (Post 969178)
Yes, well, the SM58 is not really a VO mic. It will behave better if you put a 600 Ohm resistor across pins 2 and 3.
A sure SM7, now SM7b is a better choice for VO, but it's about 3x expensive.

Yeah... I understand that's not what it's designed to be used for. My point was that it's a pretty broadly functional mic and that the "bang for the buck" factor with it is pretty darned good.

Bill Davis November 26th, 2008 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett (Post 968993)
In the USA maybe - in the UK the HD 25-1 seem to be the industry standard (though the Sony are also popular).
SNIP
Exactly the same can be said for the HD 25-1.

But the Sony are only 104dB efficient, the HD 25-1 are 120dB efficient - but the Sony are lower impedance.

John,

My apologies. It's sometimes hard for me to remember that the little San Marcos based XL-1 Watchdog board Chris told me about all those years ago - has morphed into this worldwide thing.

Also another excellent personal lesson about working harder to be mindful of my silly parochial US-centric thinking.

I'm working on that.

Take care.