VideoMic only recording to left side at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 1st, 2008, 06:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

VideoMic only recording to left side

It records fine when plugged directly into the camera, but when I use the 10 foot extention cable (1/8 inch female to 1/8 inch male) for boom mic use, I only hear it through my headphones through the left channel. That's the way it plays back too. Not a huge problem since I just adjust the pan in Final Cut, just wondering why it does that.

Also, on the subject, I've heard that you should not use an unbalanced cable longer than 10 feet. Is that more of a guide line or hard fact? It can be difficult using the VideoMic on a boom pole with only 10 feet of cable. I'd like to get a longer one, but the next size up (that I could find) was 25 feet.

Scott
Scott Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 09:04 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Are your extension cables stereo. (Tip-Ring-Shield= 3 conductor) If not, the center conductor (ring) could be shorting out.

"I've heard that you should not use an unbalanced cable longer than 10 feet."

- Mic level: No way! Don't even bother with HighZ mics.
- Line level: As long as you can get away with... I've run 100' unbalanced -10dB without issue in midtown NYC. You've got to keep on top of it though, in that hostile RF environment. Good cable is a must though. (Canare or Belden Star-quad)
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio