DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Rycote S or Cinela Osix? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/138845-rycote-s-cinela-osix.html)

Spencer Dickson December 2nd, 2008 03:57 PM

Rycote S or Cinela Osix?

Hello. My apologies in advance if I am too thread-happy for some people here. Haha. I just don't know were else to get professional advice.

I already own a cmc641, and need to get a better shockmount for it than the one from Schoeps I bought at the time I purchased the mic. I am not sure whether I should go with Rycote or Cinela. I want the best shock mount I can afford. If possible, I want to be able to use other mics with it...which would give the modular system of the rycote mounts an edge, as the cinela aren't adjustable for other mics. If I bought a Rycote S series mount, would I be able to adjust it so that it could use the cmc6 and a sennheiser mkh60 or a the large shotgun mic from schoeps? If so, which Rycote system should I get?

I want a shockmount that will provide the least noise from handling, so, if I need to get two or three shockmounts to do that, I will.

So, what are your guys' opinions? Rycote or Cinela?

Marco Leavitt December 2nd, 2008 06:42 PM

I haven't used the Cinela, and have no doubt that it's wonderous, but good gravy it looks like overkill to me. For that kind of money I'd rather have an accessory to the Schoeps, like a swivel joint or active cable or something. Plus, I believe those fancy Cinela shockmounts are balanced so delicately that they can only be used with specific mics. Seems kind of a shame to spend all that dough, and then not be able to use it with other mics.

For what's it's worth I use the standard AT8415 (with four-point silicone suspension) and have no problems.

Audio-Technica | AT8415 Shockmount with Deluxe Suspension | B&H

If I were buying a new shockmount today for the Schoeps, I'd get the PSC. I have the camera mountable version, and have been very impressed with the damping ability of those O-rings and the ultra-thin aluminum frame they are suspended in. They hold the mic snug too, so there's no flopping around. I think this shockmount is kind of standard with the Schoeps. At least, I see it in behind the scenes stills more than any other with the Schoeps. It's visible as a shadow in the famous Mr. Pink scene in "Reservoir Dogs" by the way. Look at the wall to the left of the chalkboard behind Joe Cabot. Funny stuff.

PSC | Universal Microphone Shock Mount | FPSC0035 | B&H Photo

Steve Oakley December 2nd, 2008 10:50 PM

the rycote lyra suspension is the deal. the main difference is that the S series also gives you a blimp system, the cinela doesn't. so the rycote S is a super good suspension and you get a blimp. yes it will adjust to different mics. go to rycote's web site for sizing information. you can get a smaller base setup, then when you get a shotgun, get a longer front tube for it for about $65 or so.

John Willett December 3rd, 2008 04:02 AM

Steve Oakley said it.

The Rycote S-Series is the one to go for. Technically the Patented "Lyre" suspension is the best there is - at any price - and it's also pretty inexpensive. As you can get various sizes of the blimp modules, you can get an extra one to adjust the size of the windshield for different lengths of mic., also the clip will do any mic. diameter from 19mm to 25mm.

If you don't need the windshield, look at the InVision series.

Ty Ford December 3rd, 2008 07:09 AM

Steve and John are spot on.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Nick Wilson December 3rd, 2008 07:10 AM

I agree that the Rycote S series is excellent. However, think about going for a size large (longer) than they recommend - I am using a Rode NTG2 with their recommended S330 and there is very little spare space in front of and behind the mic (and the foam inside the pods is stepped at the ends). I have checked by looking with a torch with the front and rear pods on separately to find the position where the front of the mic and the XLR plug are clear of the foam, then mark the mic to show where the clips need to be. A few more cm would make setting it up much less critical.

Nick

Andy Wilkinson December 3rd, 2008 08:23 AM

Another vote for the Rycote S Series. I have a S 330 for my Rode NTG-3 (which is a little shorter than the NTG-2 mentioned by Nick). Great bit of kit and excellent value for money.

Spencer Dickson December 3rd, 2008 10:38 PM

Rycote s series it is! Considering I am using a cmc6 (possibly with a cut1 filter) and a short shotgun mic such as the Senneiser mkh60 (possibly the Schoeps shotgun), which Rycote system would I need to be able to use both? What attachments would I need? etc.

Andy Wilkinson December 4th, 2008 05:50 AM

Rycote S Series Mini Review Link

You won't be disappointed with this choice. It's not perfect for all uses but very good and I'm very happy with it overall. I have a "mini review" of it on my website with some pictures of the cable entry arrangement etc. that you won't find on the otherwise very informative Rycote website. Link below.

Rycote S Series 330 Mini Review

John Willett December 4th, 2008 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spencer Dickson (Post 972607)
Rycote s series it is! Considering I am using a cmc6 (possibly with a cut1 filter) and a short shotgun mic such as the Senneiser mkh60 (possibly the Schoeps shotgun), which Rycote system would I need to be able to use both? What attachments would I need? etc.

Rycote advise the S-series Kit 330 for the MKH 60 - this should be fine for both the Schoeps you mentioned as well (I rang Rycote to check).

Spencer Dickson December 4th, 2008 06:49 PM

Dude, you called Rycote for me? Holy crap! That's friggin awesome.

So the 330 will work with the CMC6 and the Sennhieser? Would it be best to get the largest Rycote system and then be able to use all sized mics?

I guess with the Rycote system, I should invest in some really good cables...I already have an eng breakaway cable + an extension cable for it, so now I need to get one of those lightweight cables that attaches to the mic and gets taped to the boom, and I guess a coiled jumper cable to run from the end of the boom to the mixer. Any thoughts on those items?

P.S. Thanks for all the help guys. One day I might actually be technically inclined!

John Willett December 5th, 2008 05:56 AM

The Rycote S-series comes complete with a flexible output cable that is designed to minimise the transmission of noise along the cable - i's quite short and the plug clips into the handle. These are very good and I use them with my Rycote InVision mounts for the same reason.

The S-series "pods" are available on their own - so it's probably best to get the 330 now (as that's the version you need) and just buy a longer pod later if you need it for a longer mic.

Spencer Dickson December 5th, 2008 04:35 PM

Okay. Sweet. Thanks for all of your help man. I have yet to have a question that hasn't been answered by people on the forum. I'm going to order a Rycote 330 system as soon as I can.

On a side note, I'm seeing Nine Inch Nails tonight. Don't know how many fans of NIN there are on this board. Just thought I should mention for the hell of it. Wahoo!

Allan Black December 5th, 2008 06:30 PM

Spencer, before you buy the Rycote check out the new RODE Blimp, it does the job blocking all wind very well.

And it can accommodate more than 46 different mics without buying any extras at all, that's a huge plus.

But best of all it's only $US299 so you save there over the Rycote, and the Cinela.

Enjoy the Nails concert, take ear plugs in case :)

Cheers.

John Willett December 7th, 2008 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 973617)
Spencer, before you buy the Rycote check out the new RODE Blimp, it does the job blocking all wind very well..

Yes, but the suspension is not as good as Rycote's patented "Lyre" suspension in the S-series.