New Sennheiser Wireless Generation coming out? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 19th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #31

after reading thru everyone's recommendation, I've sent my xmitter/receiver off to Sennheiser. I'll let you know what comes of it.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #32
Major Player

I'll just chime in on my disappointment with my G2 100. Works great at a distance of 6 feet . . . in the field (SouthFlorida) i get interference on channels designated clear. I only have one bank available with clear frequencies (per Sen.'s frequency chart on their website). I scan for clear channels . . . get 3 clear . . . but frequently get intermittent interference at distances over 20-30 feet.
I wouldn't recommend this set to anyone . . . by my experience.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 03:26 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ahrens View Post
I'll just chime in on my disappointment with my G2 100. Works great at a distance of 6 feet . . . in the field (SouthFlorida) i get interference on channels designated clear. I only have one bank available with clear frequencies (per Sen.'s frequency chart on their website). I scan for clear channels . . . get 3 clear . . . but frequently get intermittent interference at distances over 20-30 feet.
You absolutely should be getting much better performance than that. I think a trip to the repair shop is in order. The G2 isn't top-shelf like Lectro or Zaxcom but it's still fully capable of professional performance - something is definitely amiss.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 03:45 AM   #34
Major Player

Either something is broken with your g2, or somebody has started broadcasting on one of your channels. With my G2 I can easily get 100 feet with zero interference. On a whim one time we wired up talent on a mountainside and had perfect reception from well over 1000 feet (line of site) without any hint of static. Granted, this is New Zealand, so the amount of radio interference is far less.

Until you move up to a digital diversity system, the same problems crop up with all brands. If somebody is broadcasting something on your frequency with a stronger source, your wireless just wont work. Since you get it regularly, is there any chance someone else on your crew is using a similar frequency for some other wireless device?

Just a thought. I had an old crappy CRT field monitor that would wreak havoc with any wireless system that came near it. For a long time i just thought that no wireless was reliable.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 07:31 AM   #35
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ahrens View Post
Mark, I figure that you are either using the Sennehiser A (500 mHz) or B (600 mHz) systems.
Did you happen to check out Sennheiser's Frequency chart on their website to see which system might be best suited for you particular area. For your area either the A or B frequency systems might have been a better choice than what you purchased. For example, in my area of Maryland, the A bandwidth was a slightly better choice. As I saw that there was a bit more traffic in the B frequency for the areas that I shoot.

Overall the C class (700 mHz) would have been best, but as we all know this frequency is gong away.

Knowing what frequencies are in use in your particular area is half of the battle in getting good wireless pickup.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 07:38 AM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
Mark, I figure that you are either using the Sennehiser A (500 mHz) or B (600 mHz) systems.
Did you happen to check out Sennheiser's Frequency chart on their website to see which system might be best suited for you particular area. For your area either the A or B frequency systems might have been a better choice than what you purchased. For example, in my area of Maryland, the A bandwidth was a slightly better choice. As I saw that there was a bit more traffic in the B frequency for the areas that I shoot.

Overall the C class (700 mHz) would have been best, but as we all know this frequency is gong away.

Knowing what frequencies are in use in your particular area is half of the battle in getting good wireless pickup.
There should now also be a new "G" band for the USA.

Range G in G3 = 566 - 608 MHz

I think there was also a G version in G2 as well.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 08:12 AM   #37
Inner Circle

I'd thought I'd post Sennhieser's frequency USA finder for those looking at what to get for their area.

Find Available Frequencies
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:07 PM   #38
Major Player

@Mark,

South Fla is tough, anywhere near the Miami metro is jammed, not only with the local stuff, but all sorts of additional rubbish from Cuba/Nassau/etc as some radio waves carry very well over water.

I suggest starting with this website... http://74.205.3.123/ff/ and looking up active TV by your zip code. Take special note of stations ending in DT, they are digital. I have noticed that most analog receivers don't "see" digital transmissions when they scan for open channels. Nevertheless using a channel occupied by a digital station *WILL* result in poor performance. A clear channel on the receiver will not show a single bar of RF, and the green RF LED will not come on. If they do, try another freq. remembering to check before turning on the transmitter.

The other possibility is that you units are damaged or defective. I have had broken antenna wires (inside the rubber sleeving-not noticeable at all) that result in very poor reception, but still better that 6 feet. Even in Miami...

Last edited by Greg Bellotte; April 22nd, 2009 at 06:24 PM.
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:15 PM   #39
Inner Circle

South FLA tough?
Try NYC!
The ONLY large block of clear frequencies is in the Class C range. That's why I bought that range. In fact if you set Sennheiser's Freq Finder to 70 miles (the TV Clear range I believe) NOTHING other than Class C freq show up!
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:19 PM   #40
Inner Circle

EW G2 Usable Channels NYC Radius

EW G2 Usable Channels NYC Radius
Attached Thumbnails
New Sennheiser Wireless Generation coming out?-usablechannelsnyc.jpg  
Old April 22nd, 2009, 01:15 PM   #41
Inner Circle

I just spoke to Sennheiser tech regarding this issue. Those of us in major metro areas are really in a quandary about this.

The new G3 series will have significantly expanded frequency bandwidth. They'll have that info at the beginning of May. It may take them beyond that to update their Freq Finder but they'll have info by phone. The Freq availability change (as you probably already know starts in June). Apparently there's still some fuzzy areas about the time frame of implementation but the tech said there'd likely be a grace period through the end of the year.

He basically confirmed there's virtually nothing available in block A or B for NYC currently. I asked because I thought maybe I was misunderstanding the Freq Finder. Currently the scant few vacant areas are not in the G2 freq range.

He mentioned some significant improvements in the G3 itself which will improve the scanning and storing available frequencies. They'll have more details on that at the beginning of May but here's the basics.
Sennheiser Worldwide - ew 100-ENG G3

Summary
Tech suggests waiting until May or June and there will likely be channels available to the G3 as vacant, not possible with the G2. Yes you lose a couple of months on the rebate offer (lose $10/month) but it's really the only safe way to know what block to purchase for your area with G3.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:22 AM   #42
Major Player

I have a ew 100 G2 ... and just used it 2 weeks ago filming in the tropical mountains of Malaysia. Mt Ophir area (if you are interested to know). The talent was perched about 200m away near a river and I could pick everything with signal strength still at half maximum. Granted this was straight line without any electronic interference in the UHF band - so, just to let you know this thing works. Although specs says 150 feet (50m) - I was getting 4 times that range.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 06:43 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Expecting my Sennheiser EW 122-p G3 this friday or saturday.
Will have a full week of testing it, before taking it out into the field.
Really curious about the ME 4 clip-on cardioide mic. Has anybody used it allready?
Boudewijn de Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:46 AM   #44
Inner Circle

Still no sign of it at B&H. As noted above it stinks because I can't take advantage of the rebate because there are no frequencies available in NYC for Sennheiser until G3 is available.
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:35 PM   #45
Regular Crew

I got them from here:

http://www.bax-shop.nl/combinatie-dr...t-details.html

This is a legit shop in The Netherlands.
Will keep you guys infromed them when it comes in.
Boudewijn de Kemp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio