Static sound on play back. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 9th, 2008, 06:55 AM   #1
Trustee

Static sound on play back.

I got back from videoing in Wisconsin. While there I would review the days shoot and use earphones to monitor the sound while recording and during review (I used a new set of Sony wireless mics), the tapes sounded great. Get home, pop the tapes into my Panny deck and watch videos on my monitor/tv, sounds great. Now, connect firewire and try to download the footage to my computer for editing with Vegas 8.c and there is all this "static", like a bad wire coming off of the computer monitor speakers. So, I disconnect the Panny deck and I connect the firewire to the Canon XL2 and play the tape. First tape sounded good, second tape started with the static again. Could it be that my firewire has gone bad? is there a problem with the recording that only shows up when connected to the computer? Oh, I had the att. on the transmitter set at -15. Any help would be appreciated. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #2
Major Player

How have you clocked the audio?
Old December 9th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #3
Trustee

John, what is clocked audio?
Old December 9th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Safay View Post
John, what is clocked audio?
Any digital audio has to be clocked - when you record the record machine is the master.

When you transfer digitally, the copy machine has to be set as slave so it clocks to the master machine. If the copy machine thinks it is the master, then you get digital errors and clicking noises.

If you just copied the file over (ie: drag and drop like from a hard drive), then this does not apply - but if you are doing a digital transfer it does.
Old December 9th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #5
Trustee

audio Via FW has no external clock, its just bits in the pipe. its not AES/SPDIF/ADAT

what they really meant was, did you record at 32khz and are using a 48k preset to capture, or the other way around

you could also be experiencing drop outs or tape misalignement too. try a quick head cleaning and see if it goes away....

and if you were in WI, you should of called me ;)
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 08:12 AM   #6
Trustee

Well, I have tried everything. I guess it is time to send my baby to Canon for a tune-up. Unfortunately it will have to wait till after the holidays. Thanks for the feed back. Bob
Old December 18th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #7
Trustee

Bob did you listen to the headphones on playback of the tapes while you are getting static on the firewire? This could be an alignment issue in the recording. Camcorders don't always have as much error correction on playback as decks but I have had problems playing Canon DV tapes on Panasonic and vice versa. My Sony DSR-45 handles both well.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio