DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Lapel Mic for $500 or Under (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/139245-lapel-mic-500-under.html)

Oliver Darden December 9th, 2008 10:12 AM

Lapel Mic for $500 or Under

Is it possible to get a quality wireless lapel mic for documentary work for $500 or less? I am working with a AT4073a on a boom pole right now and I would like something that is comparable to that in a wireless set up.

If NO WAY on the price could someone post a link to a few industry standard ones regardless of how much it cost.

I will be using this with the Canon XH A1 and the Beachtek DXA-6 for phantom power.

Thanks

Bill Davis December 9th, 2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver Darden (Post 975217)
Is it possible to get a quality wireless (could even be wired) lapel mic for documentary work for $500 or less? I am working with a AT4073a on a boom pole right now and I would like something that sounds close to that.

If NO WAY on the price could someone post a link to a few industry standard ones regardless of how much it cost.

Thanks

With wired mics it's no problem.

Shure ECM-44, or 77b are both significantly under half of that. The Sanken Cos 11 would push up the price a bit, as would the Tram lavs - and even the Countryman Ultra small pinhead mics would fit within that budget.

The only place you get in trouble is if you want the mic, plus the transmitter plus the receiver for a wireless rig. Then $500 is kinda unrealistic for not just the mic itself but also for all the electronics needed to send and receive a quality, dependable signal.

Perrone Ford December 9th, 2008 10:44 AM

Can't say that I agree with Bill.

Sennheiser | Evolution G2 100 Series - UHF | EW112PG2 - B | B&H

This system gets VERY close. No, the mic isn't a Tram, or a Sanken. But that can easily be upgraded later. And it's $50 over your budget. But B&H isn't the cheapest place to buy these things anyway...

I picked up a set of these and a Countryman B3 last month and I am VERY pleased with the results.

Steve House December 9th, 2008 10:58 AM

FYI - you don't need the phantom power when you're feeding the camera from a wireless receiver. And why the Beach anyway? The XH A1 has XLR inputs with phantom available so you don't need another source of phantom or an XLR to 1/8 adapter.

Oliver Darden December 9th, 2008 11:07 AM

Perrone, that looks awesome! I will check that out for sure. That's everything I need for a wireless setup?

Steve, sorry I just meant to say that's what I USE to use with my old setup with my xl1s, I was just mentioning I had one I don't know why I said I will be using it with my NEW setup, I didn't think about the XH A1 having XLRs and phantom, I am so use to using the xl1.

Perrone Ford December 9th, 2008 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver Darden (Post 975253)
Perrone, that looks awesome! I will check that out for sure. That's everything I need for a wireless setup?

Yep, Comes with transmitter, reciever, bodypack clips, a fixture to mount the receiver on top of the camera coldshoe, lapel mic, and it even comes with 2 sets of batteries.

I tested the unit by micing a co-worker, and walking down the hall. Signal had to pass through 8 offices and the sound was still passable. I wouldn't recommend it, but I'd most certainly do shorts and commercial work with this unit.

*** WARNING ***

Please make sure you read and understand the new FCC guidelines on wireless transmissions. There is stuff on this forum to read. But it may well infringe on your purchase of any wireless mics or devices for filming. So make sure you understand it all before you pull the trigger.

Oliver Darden December 9th, 2008 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 975266)
Please make sure you read and understand the new FCC guidelines on wireless transmissions. There is stuff on this forum to read. But it may well infringe on your purchase of any wireless mics or devices for filming. So make sure you understand it all before you pull the trigger.

Wow, did not know this......

Has anyone run into this problem of not being able to use their wireless mic somewhere due to this, or is this something that will take time to come in effect?

Steve House December 9th, 2008 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver Darden (Post 975411)
Wow, did not know this......

Has anyone run into this problem of not being able to use their wireless mic somewhere due to this, or is this something that will take time to come in effect?

Officially the 700 mHz band becomes illegal to use by wireless mics in the US on Feb 19, 2009 as all analog TV broadcasting goes dark with the mandatory transition to digital and the band is released to other uses. While the spectrum police aren't likely to come breaking down your door, as new licensees move into the band it will become increasingly difficult to find frequencies that are clear of interference. Since some of the new licensees are public safety users, it's possible that you could get dinged if your mics cause interference with police/fire/medical etc. Of course, with a wireless low power it's not very likely that that would arise but it's theoretically possible.

Oliver Darden December 9th, 2008 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 975442)
as new licensees move into the band it will become increasingly difficult to find frequencies that are clear of interference.

When do you realistically think we will have to worry about this?

Steve House December 10th, 2008 04:38 AM

I really don't know. Some of the big players like Google and cell providers probably intend to move into the area pretty rapidly. While I wouldn't expect you to have to immediately retire existing gear you may have, I certainly wouldn't buy anything that operated in that band, new or used, no matter how good a deal I was offered.

Oliver Darden December 10th, 2008 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 975639)
I certainly wouldn't buy anything that operated in that band, new or used, no matter how good a deal I was offered.

So if the Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 Series runs in that band what other options do I have for a wireless lapel mic setup...I mean what are people doing....

Perrone Ford December 10th, 2008 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver Darden (Post 975900)
So if the Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 Series runs in that band what other options do I have for a wireless lapel mic setup...I mean what are people doing....

I bought one of the Sennheisers last month knowing the issues. I explained it to my clients. I'll use it as long as I can. By the time it becomes a real issue, I suspect we'll have numerous other choices. So you can either bite the bullet now and use that $500 product for as long as you can, or you can sit on your thumb and wait until something new comes along. For me, it was a no brainer. I'll do enough work with this unit to pay for a new one by the time a new one comes available.

Steve House December 10th, 2008 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver Darden (Post 975900)

That's not the only band the G2 is available for. Blocks A, B, E, and some of Block D lies outside the 700 mHz band. Lectro and Zaxcom are also in the game.

Perrone Ford December 10th, 2008 05:01 PM

True, I bought in "B" block. So hopefully I will not be affected.

Oliver Darden December 10th, 2008 07:14 PM

Cool, great info guys, thanks!

I will just buy in the "B 626-662MHz" one.