Looping at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 31st, 2003, 08:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Looping

I was talking to a friend of my dad's about my start in film, and I had some sound questions for him, since I knew thats what he did. (or did some years ago) I as asking him about recording sound out on the shoot, and all that stuff, and this led to him telling me that all dialogue in movies now a days are looped. (The dialogue is recorded in a studio later, and added back to the video. And the sound that was recorded during the shoot isn't used except for reference.) I had never herd this before, and wanted to know if it was true. I'm thinking about movies like Reservoir dogs, and stuff like that, and I have a hard time believing it is looped.
Bryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2003, 08:19 AM   #2
Inner Circle

basically the actors go into a sound booth and watch the footage and re-enact the script.. this is rare from what i have seen thou...
with the quality of mics these days its not a common occurance, and is usually unnessary... and the difficulty in gettin the pitch, tone and sync correct is a bit much to ask form an actor.
I might be wrong, but most movies (from what ive seen) are recorded using timecode synced audio recorders using 4 channels as environment and a single channel for dialogue, then mixed in post to creat a 5.1 stream.

Obviously what ur referring to depends on the movie, the scene and the relevance to the big picture...

i honestly dont see a fight scene from Blade2 be re-enacted in a soundbooth...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2003, 10:19 AM   #3
Major Player

Looping is only used when the on set sound was not adequate for the take. It has a disadvantage of being recorded, sometimes, much later after being filmed. The actor then has to reacquire the character and feeling of that scene and it sometimes doesn't have the same emotion or effect.

Sound effects, such as fight scenes, are always recorded later. This is what the foley editor and his people do. Everything from buttoning a shirt to slaps in the face to walking across the room. At least if there is a budget for it and all Hollywood movies have one.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2003, 10:50 PM   #4
Wrangler

Typically it's now called ADR (Automatic Dialog Replacement) which it is not.
Old September 3rd, 2003, 10:57 PM   #5
Wrangler

double posted.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio