Beachtek power supply alternative? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 13th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Beachtek power supply alternative?

Hi everyone,

I just bought a Beachtek DXA-8 for my HDR-FX1, I'm trying to figure out what I'll do with the battery issue, recheargeable 9v? low mah problem? etc...

Since this is a common question, I've searched for answers here and there on this website, It's hard to pin point the answer but I noticed an option that I found was very interesting yet unexplored, It was mentionned by Oleg Kaizerman in this post :

Beachtek DXA-8. Any one using it? - The Digital Video Information Network

Here's his quote : "the other thing that i can recomend is to use camera batteries with external dc plug ( there is a number of companies who are already make these for sony camcorders) so you can hook the unit with external power true 9v battery dummy head ( not use dc converter dumy head since it drops at least 1.5 v and you will be under 6 v , just 9v dummy head directly from the camera battery.)"

I tried searching but can't find any more details here or on e-bay, although I found this auction :

9V BATTERY SNAP ON TERMINAL+2.1MM DC PLUG 9 VOLT POWER - eBay (item 300264359569 end time Jan-03-09 17:57:55 PST)

Now I don't know if that's what Oleg was refering to but you gotta admit that this would be an interesting solution to the audio adapter 9v battery "problem"
Donald Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I think what Oleg was referring to was the fact that some professional battery systems such as the Anton Bauer mounts, as well as some broadcast ENG cameras themselves, have a power tap to allow you to power lights, etc, directly from the main camera battery. Take a look at the Anton Bauer site for more details.
Old December 13th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Ok so the "sony camcorders" he was talking about are professional broadcast cameras?

So the question is does Anton Bauer make a battery for the FX1 that can also feed an audio adapter?

I will send them this question on the website. If anyone knows the answer feel free to step in...
Old December 14th, 2008, 04:09 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Blake View Post
Ok so the "sony camcorders" he was talking about are professional broadcast cameras?

So the question is does Anton Bauer make a battery for the FX1 that can also feed an audio adapter?

I will send them this question on the website. If anyone knows the answer feel free to step in...
Yes, they have battery systems to fit the FX1 in both their Gold Mount and ElipZ product lines that have taps to for external devices. But how are you going to get the power into the Beach? I wasn't aware they had an external power connectors.
Old December 14th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Well actually I was thinking of feeding the power directly to the beachtek 9v battery connectors, with an adapter similar to this auction :

9V BATTERY SNAP ON TERMINAL+2.1MM DC PLUG 9 VOLT POWER - eBay (item 300264359569 end time Jan-03-09 17:57:55 PST)

What kinda plug is on the Anton Bauer battery?

Steve, tell me, am I trying to re-invent the wheel here?
I'm new to all this and I tought there's gotta be some better way for this beachtek battery issue.
Old December 14th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Blake View Post
Well actually I was thinking of feeding the power directly to the beachtek 9v battery connectors, with an adapter similar to this auction :

What kinda plug is on the Anton Bauer battery?

Steve, tell me, am I trying to re-invent the wheel here?
I'm new to all this and I tought there's gotta be some better way for this beachtek battery issue.
I'm not sure the exact plug as I don't have one but my reading of that auction is it's selling a cable to plug onto a 9v battery to power a device that has a coaxial DC input jack such as you find on gear powered by a wall-wart transformer. You could build ssomething similar for a couple of bucks worth of parts from Radio Shack. But the battery and chargher will get expensive. Why not just stock up on some iPower pro rechargable 9 volts?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio