opinion on Auralex Mopads? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 15th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #1
Major Player

opinion on Auralex Mopads?

These rate well in reviews, vs putting monitors directly on your desk. But what about generic foam pads? Other than the adjustable angle, is there some other magic in these?
Philip Fass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #2

I've used auralex in my studio, for years. Don't know why the auralex foam is so good, but, they beat the pants off anything else I tried.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #3
Major Player

I would have thought foam is foam for something like this, but I guess I'm wrong.
Old December 15th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fass View Post
These rate well in reviews, vs putting monitors directly on your desk. But what about generic foam pads? Other than the adjustable angle, is there some other magic in these?

It's dense enough that heavy monitors don't squish it flat over time. My JBLs weigh about 30 pounds each and my desk is pretty flimsy and resonant. The Mopads do a very effective job of decoupling them and the difference is very apparent. Haven't tried it with conventional foam so I don't know if that answers your question. They're not expensive so what the hey...

Last edited by Steve House; December 15th, 2008 at 05:34 PM.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:57 AM   #5
Major Player

I have an old pair of short speaker stands -- small enough to fit on the desk -- that look something like this:

Wood Technology WC-10.5 - Black Satin Finish 10 1/2" Speaker Stands with Curved Base

What do you think? Get the foam instead?
Old December 16th, 2008, 05:09 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fass View Post
I have an old pair of short speaker stands -- small enough to fit on the desk -- that look something like this:

Wood Technology WC-10.5 - Black Satin Finish 10 1/2" Speaker Stands with Curved Base

What do you think? Get the foam instead?
Get the Mopads. I'd expect speaker cabinet vibration will be transmitted right down into your desk with those stands, turning it into another sound emitter.
Old December 16th, 2008, 05:18 AM   #7
Major Player

Irrational to keep resisting, I know. The pads are probably one of the cheapest pieces of equipment you could buy. Still, it's too bad there don't seem to be any discounts on 'em -- even eBay is the same price or worse.
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #8

for myself, all the corners of my sound booth(really a fairly rectangular room) are panelled in auralex, from the apex of the corner out to about 16 inches and ceiling to floor. The room has a very slight amount of ambience, with no high spots detectable by an FFT(i.e. a flat response curve). The ambience works well with the music videos I've recorded and edited.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #9
Major Player

I ordered a set. Too frustrating to try for a cheaper solution, which wouldn't be any cheaper in the end.

Do they use the same kind of foam for everything -- Mopads and wall panels alike?
Philip Fass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio