Audio initiation (XLR mic + beachtek) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 17th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio initiation (XLR mic + beachtek)

I just bought a Beachtek DXA-8 for my Sony HDR-FX1, I have a couple of questions since I never used it yet and I'm new to all this.

I'm looking to buy a low budget XLR mic, I know what you're saying, you get what you pay for! yes I understand that but right now all my projects are auto financed, I do not make a dime with all this and I keep on spending on new equipment, that's why I can't buy that 1000$ mic, So please consider this if you reply, I have a 250$ budget.

Here's another question, I already have an ATR-55 mic with a 1/8 plug. can I still use it even if I get a new XLR mic? for exemple, I tought I could plug it in the 1/8 Aux. plug in the beachtek and keep it on the camera itself and use the XLR mic with a boompole, again i don't have any idea of what I'm talking about here, is this a possibilty?

I also need a quick clarification about the 9v power supply (phantom power) vs the ATR-55's 2 AA batterys

And so many other questions...
Donald Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Blake View Post
Here's another question, I already have an ATR-55 mic with a 1/8 plug. can I still use it even if I get a new XLR mic? for exemple, I tought I could plug it in the 1/8 Aux. plug in the beachtek and keep it on the camera itself and use the XLR mic with a boompole, again i don't have any idea of what I'm talking about here, is this a possibilty?

I also need a quick clarification about the 9v power supply (phantom power) vs the ATR-55's 2 AA batterys

And so many other questions...
The 1/8 input is unbalanced so there's no phantom voltage on it even when phantom is turned on. Plugging your ATR55 into it won't hurt anything but you'll still need to keep the AA batterys in the mic to provide its power. If the Aux input is used it goes to the right output channel and so nothing should be connected to the right channel XLR.

The 9v battery is to power the Beach, including supplying phantom power to the XLR connections. Phantom is 48v but the Beach boosts the 9v internally.

If you use the ATR55 plus another mic on a pole, be sure to record "Stereo" with each mic on its own individual track and don't try to mix them to mono. The time difference between when the sound hits the mic on the boom versus when it hits one at the camera can cause very strange and unpredictable effects. If you want the backup, fine, but in post decide which sounds best and only use that one.
Old December 18th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #3
Trustee

There are several other items that are important for getting good sound with a boom mic, such as wind protection, a shockmount, good XLR cables, a boom pole, good headphones and a way for the boom operator to monitor the sound without interfering with the operation of the camera.
But for the mic itself you can get the AT875R for $200 online. Look for information in this forum regarding the mic and reviews, as well as example recordings.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey thanx steve for the Info, I'm a quick learner and with the help of this place I'm sure I'll be ok.

Also Jay thanx for the info in the AT875R, looks very intersting! and fits my budget.

By the way Steve, do you know any good Canadian online store for A/V equipement?

B&H is really great and all but with the actual exchange rate + border fees + shipping and handeling, there's no bargain there.
Donald Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Blake View Post
By the way Steve, do you know any good Canadian online store for A/V equipement?

Take a look at Trew Audio's website. They have Canadian stores in Toronto and Vancouver and an online store.
Old December 24th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Make sure you keep spare batteries for the DXA-8. Even if you have a self-powered microphone, the DXA-8 needs power for it's electronics. You go from sound to no sound abruptily when the battery runs out, so if you're not sure, put in a new battery at the start of a shoot.

I've had excellent luck with the AKG C1000s microphones for situations were you put mic stands in fornt of the audience.
Jon Goulden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 06:47 PM   #7
Major Player

Another good mic close to or within your budget is the Rode NTG-2.

And just a heads-up. SONY will not allow splitting of the inputs between the external mic and the internal mics on the FX-1 or Z-1. It's all one or the other... never both.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio