DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   What's your favorite microphone? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/140071-whats-your-favorite-microphone.html)

Mitch Hunt December 21st, 2008 01:09 PM

What's your favorite microphone?

I need a great sounding microphone for on location shoots. It would be used for everything from run and gun shooting to fully staged professional shoots, indoor and outdoor. The camera (Canon XH A1) has two XLR ports as well as the mic in. What kind of microphone do you use, what would you recommend for the best audio quality?

Andy Wilkinson December 21st, 2008 01:10 PM

Rode NTG-3 is a good start, high-end performance for medium cost. Stunning guarantee/aftersales service (should it go wrong).

Dan Brockett December 21st, 2008 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch Hunt (Post 981859)
I need a great sounding microphone for on location shoots. It would be used for everything from run and gun shooting to fully staged professional shoots, indoor and outdoor. The camera (Canon XH A1) has two XLR ports as well as the mic in. What kind of microphone do you use, what would you recommend for the best audio quality?

You cannot go wrong with the Schoeps CMC641 for a cardioid variant and a Schoeps CMIT5u for shotgun usage. Not cheap but you asked my favorite.

Dan

Ty Ford December 22nd, 2008 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 981893)
You cannot go wrong with the Schoeps CMC641 for a cardioid variant and a Schoeps CMIT5u for shotgun usage. Not cheap but you asked my favorite.

Dan

+1

and maybe a sanken CS-3e

Regards,

Ty Ford

Petri Kaipiainen December 22nd, 2008 05:50 AM

Sanken CS-3e for video shotgunning.

Nick Flowers December 22nd, 2008 06:27 AM

I've had a couple of Sennheiser 416-T mics for over 20 years. They've been through plenty of rough and tumble and hostile environments and are still sounding great. Use them on a cold morning or in a humid greenhouse and they won't let me down. Why T power, you might ask? Well, when I got them T power was the normal film guy thing. But an advantage over Phantom - about the only one - is that you can plug one straight into a radiomic transmitter, which will provide the power. With Audio 2020 radiomics it's a cheap (about £40) adaptor lead. If you have a 48V Phantom powered mic you either have to use a powering box in series, or buy a voltage regulator lead (in excess of £200).

They are hyper cardioid mics, and so do not meet with undiluted approval for all situations; but for general indoor and outdoor work, if you can have only one mic, it's the 416 every time for me. Possible increased reverb indoors is more than compensated for by directivity outdoors. But this is a personal thing, I suppose.

Greg Bellotte December 22nd, 2008 11:20 AM

+1 for the 416. Some of us even have RF transmitters that supply P48 for them. :-)

Mitch Hunt December 22nd, 2008 11:23 AM

Thanks for your replies! I will be doing a lot of run and gun outdoor filming (Hunting for one) where it will need to be ready in a moments notice and wounder if a wireless lavaier microphone would be better for that. Any suggestions?

Battle Vaughan December 22nd, 2008 12:34 PM

Two different considerations, there. You probably want an on-camera mike for run-n-gun, where there is no opportunity to wire somebody up...breaking news like we do...our XHa1's are equpped with Sennheiser ME66K6 mikes, excellent sensitivity and ruggedness at a great deal less than the (very fine and expensive) Sankens...and we also equip with two sets of Sennheiser G2 wireless mikes with Tram microphones for those occasions when we can do a proper interview and wire people up for the occasion. No one mike or type of mike will do it all --- you may want a handmike (we use the EV RE50 hand mike, arguably the most commonly-used ENG mike these days, you see them in every tv news clip, seems like). You definitely need an 0n-camera shotgun, and wireless lavs are the best way to get decent interview audio in most situations. We always say audio is 70% of a video, and equip accordingly.....my two cents..../ Battle Vaughan/ miamiherald.com video team

Jeff Kellam December 22nd, 2008 01:46 PM

Mitch:

Keep in mind there is a fair degree of size (length) variance in the mics reccomended.

The B&H catalog has a nice graphic with all the microphones lined up in order of length.

Check it out:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWor...ForVideoLR.pdf

Page 340

Nick Flowers December 23rd, 2008 03:14 AM

P48 from transmitter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Bellotte (Post 982324)
+1 for the 416. Some of us even have RF transmitters that supply P48 for them. :-)

Hey, that's great! Tell me more. Is it a body pack or a plug into the end of the mic affair?

Steve House December 23rd, 2008 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Flowers (Post 982761)
Hey, that's great! Tell me more. Is it a body pack or a plug into the end of the mic affair?

Sennheisser SKP500 and Lectro UH400A plugons, among others, supply 48v phantom to the mic.

Nick Flowers December 23rd, 2008 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 982778)
Sennheisser SKP500 and Lectro UH400A plugons, among others, supply 48v phantom to the mic.

Aha! Not sure my boom op would want the extra weight on the end of his pole! Don't know whether a plug in would fit in the mount and gag either. But it's all useful information; many thanks.

PS I suppose if I were to re-equip with P48, the plug on could be at the end of the boom cable, in a pouch at the boom op's waist.

Steve House December 23rd, 2008 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Flowers (Post 982789)
Aha! Not sure my boom op would want the extra weight on the end of his pole! Don't know whether a plug in would fit in the mount and gag either. But it's all useful information; many thanks.

PS I suppose if I were to re-equip with P48, the plug on could be at the end of the boom cable, in a pouch at the boom op's waist.

A more common placement of a wireless plugon is at the bottom end of the pole. I have a Loon internally cabled pole and its bottom end XLR connector is on a "J" shaped bracket so a plugon folds back against the pole itself keeping it out of the dirt when resting.

Nick Flowers December 23rd, 2008 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 982821)
A more common placement of a wireless plugon is at the bottom end of the pole. I have a Loon internally cabled pole and its bottom end XLR connector is on a "J" shaped bracket so a plugon folds back against the pole itself keeping it out of the dirt when resting.

That's a good plan.