What's your favorite microphone? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 21st, 2008, 01:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Broken Bow, NE
Posts: 145
What's your favorite microphone?

I need a great sounding microphone for on location shoots. It would be used for everything from run and gun shooting to fully staged professional shoots, indoor and outdoor. The camera (Canon XH A1) has two XLR ports as well as the mic in. What kind of microphone do you use, what would you recommend for the best audio quality?
Mitch Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 01:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cambridge UK
Posts: 2,835
Rode NTG-3 is a good start, high-end performance for medium cost. Stunning guarantee/aftersales service (should it go wrong).
__________________
Andy K Wilkinson - http://www.shootingimage.co.uk
Cambridge (UK) Corporate Video Production
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 01:55 PM   #3
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Hunt View Post
I need a great sounding microphone for on location shoots. It would be used for everything from run and gun shooting to fully staged professional shoots, indoor and outdoor. The camera (Canon XH A1) has two XLR ports as well as the mic in. What kind of microphone do you use, what would you recommend for the best audio quality?
You cannot go wrong with the Schoeps CMC641 for a cardioid variant and a Schoeps CMIT5u for shotgun usage. Not cheap but you asked my favorite.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 05:19 AM   #4
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD USA
Posts: 2,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
You cannot go wrong with the Schoeps CMC641 for a cardioid variant and a Schoeps CMIT5u for shotgun usage. Not cheap but you asked my favorite.

Dan
+1

and maybe a sanken CS-3e

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 05:50 AM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Espoo Finland
Posts: 380
Sanken CS-3e for video shotgunning.
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 06:27 AM   #6
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chichester UK
Posts: 167
I've had a couple of Sennheiser 416-T mics for over 20 years. They've been through plenty of rough and tumble and hostile environments and are still sounding great. Use them on a cold morning or in a humid greenhouse and they won't let me down. Why T power, you might ask? Well, when I got them T power was the normal film guy thing. But an advantage over Phantom - about the only one - is that you can plug one straight into a radiomic transmitter, which will provide the power. With Audio 2020 radiomics it's a cheap (about 40) adaptor lead. If you have a 48V Phantom powered mic you either have to use a powering box in series, or buy a voltage regulator lead (in excess of 200).

They are hyper cardioid mics, and so do not meet with undiluted approval for all situations; but for general indoor and outdoor work, if you can have only one mic, it's the 416 every time for me. Possible increased reverb indoors is more than compensated for by directivity outdoors. But this is a personal thing, I suppose.
Nick Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:20 AM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 289
+1 for the 416. Some of us even have RF transmitters that supply P48 for them. :-)
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:23 AM   #8
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Broken Bow, NE
Posts: 145
Thanks for your replies! I will be doing a lot of run and gun outdoor filming (Hunting for one) where it will need to be ready in a moments notice and wounder if a wireless lavaier microphone would be better for that. Any suggestions?
Mitch Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 12:34 PM   #9
Trustee
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Miami, FL USA
Posts: 1,483
Two different considerations, there. You probably want an on-camera mike for run-n-gun, where there is no opportunity to wire somebody up...breaking news like we do...our XHa1's are equpped with Sennheiser ME66K6 mikes, excellent sensitivity and ruggedness at a great deal less than the (very fine and expensive) Sankens...and we also equip with two sets of Sennheiser G2 wireless mikes with Tram microphones for those occasions when we can do a proper interview and wire people up for the occasion. No one mike or type of mike will do it all --- you may want a handmike (we use the EV RE50 hand mike, arguably the most commonly-used ENG mike these days, you see them in every tv news clip, seems like). You definitely need an 0n-camera shotgun, and wireless lavs are the best way to get decent interview audio in most situations. We always say audio is 70% of a video, and equip accordingly.....my two cents..../ Battle Vaughan/ miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 01:46 PM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 656
Mitch:

Keep in mind there is a fair degree of size (length) variance in the mics reccomended.

The B&H catalog has a nice graphic with all the microphones lined up in order of length.

Check it out:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWor...ForVideoLR.pdf

Page 340
__________________
Panasonic HMC150/Canon A1/JVC HD1/Sony Vegas 8.0c
Jeff Kellam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 03:14 AM   #11
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chichester UK
Posts: 167
P48 from transmitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bellotte View Post
+1 for the 416. Some of us even have RF transmitters that supply P48 for them. :-)
Hey, that's great! Tell me more. Is it a body pack or a plug into the end of the mic affair?
Nick Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 04:21 AM   #12
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Flowers View Post
Hey, that's great! Tell me more. Is it a body pack or a plug into the end of the mic affair?
Sennheisser SKP500 and Lectro UH400A plugons, among others, supply 48v phantom to the mic.
__________________
Good news, Cousins! This week's chocolate ration is 15 grams!
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 06:10 AM   #13
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chichester UK
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
Sennheisser SKP500 and Lectro UH400A plugons, among others, supply 48v phantom to the mic.
Aha! Not sure my boom op would want the extra weight on the end of his pole! Don't know whether a plug in would fit in the mount and gag either. But it's all useful information; many thanks.

PS I suppose if I were to re-equip with P48, the plug on could be at the end of the boom cable, in a pouch at the boom op's waist.
Nick Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 08:01 AM   #14
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Flowers View Post
Aha! Not sure my boom op would want the extra weight on the end of his pole! Don't know whether a plug in would fit in the mount and gag either. But it's all useful information; many thanks.

PS I suppose if I were to re-equip with P48, the plug on could be at the end of the boom cable, in a pouch at the boom op's waist.
A more common placement of a wireless plugon is at the bottom end of the pole. I have a Loon internally cabled pole and its bottom end XLR connector is on a "J" shaped bracket so a plugon folds back against the pole itself keeping it out of the dirt when resting.
__________________
Good news, Cousins! This week's chocolate ration is 15 grams!
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 08:12 AM   #15
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chichester UK
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
A more common placement of a wireless plugon is at the bottom end of the pole. I have a Loon internally cabled pole and its bottom end XLR connector is on a "J" shaped bracket so a plugon folds back against the pole itself keeping it out of the dirt when resting.
That's a good plan.
Nick Flowers is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:18 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network