DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Minature mics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/140261-minature-mics.html)

Tim Bisley December 24th, 2008 05:39 PM

Minature mics

I was watching an old episode of Miami vice where they put minature mics in a house and I was thinking what if you could hook a minature mic to a camera? Is that possible? How is the sound quality. Or would you be better off with a body mic?

Ty Ford December 24th, 2008 09:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Tim

Putting the mic on the camera would result in a really good recording of camera noise.

Here's a Countryman B6

Regards,

Ty Ford

Jim Andrada December 25th, 2008 12:27 AM

Which besides being tiny, sounds great!

Warren Kawamoto December 25th, 2008 12:40 AM

I have the B6s and use it for weddings. It's so small that you can peek it through a button hole and it's virtually invisible. I have one black, and one white. The only thing I don't like about it is when people yank on the wire. It's so thin that it'll break easily.

Jim Andrada December 25th, 2008 01:29 AM

Have you actually had one break? I thought they had a few Kevlar fibers in the wire to prevent that. Maye I've just been lucky and need to be more careful.

Ty Ford December 26th, 2008 04:59 AM

I have not had mine break yet, but have heard from other sound guys that rough handling can break them. You do have to be watchful. When I put the mic on someone, I do a little thing where I introduce myself and let them know I'm the sound guy and that I'll be in their personal space to rig the mic. I show them the mic. They are amazed. I show them the wire and in passing mention that the mic costs about $400 and "we" need to be careful not to yank the wire. That includes not stuffing your shirt back in your pants right where the wire is. After a scene, I'm on them to take the mic off, or detach the xmitter if they'll not be needed for a while. That way they can go to the john and not come back with a sheepish grin and a wet transmitter. (if you catch my drift) So far, knock wood, the mics are fine.

Countryman does make a thicker cable, but it doesn't lie as easily under clothes. I've used in on their E6 headworn mic and had to swap it out because as thin as the thicker cable is, it was thick enough to dislodge the mic from the ear after a few head turns.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Paul R Johnson December 26th, 2008 06:35 AM

I too find Countrymans pretty tough - in fact I tend to use them on people I suspect will be a bit rough on DPA - which can be wrecked far too easily, but do, I reckon, sound better. At the other end of the scale I have a few unbranded reall cheap ones that I use when I KNOW they are going to be trashed. They are not so good, but with a bit of eq can sound ok(ish).