DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Which Shotgun (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/141623-shotgun.html)

Josh Swan January 15th, 2009 01:19 PM

Which Shotgun

I've been using a AT897 for my weddings and am in need of purchasing a new mic. I haven't really used anything else. Do you guys have any suggestions on which shotgun might be the best bang for the buck? (I wouldn't mind if it was a bit cheeper in price)

Thank you

Dan Brockett January 15th, 2009 02:16 PM

I have two for you...

As I Hear It - Choosing the Right Microphone
Low Cost Shotgun Microphone Comparison

Dan

Mark Cinense January 15th, 2009 03:36 PM

Dan,

thanks for the links.

Mark

Ty Ford January 15th, 2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Swan (Post 995500)
I've been using a AT897 for my weddings and am in need of purchasing a new mic. I haven't really used anything else. Do you guys have any suggestions on which shotgun might be the best bang for the buck? (I wouldn't mind if it was a bit cheeper in price)

Thank you

Josh,

Why do you want new shotgun mic?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Jeff Kellam January 16th, 2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 995537)

Dan:

A great resource, thanks!

Jeff

Dan Brockett January 16th, 2009 12:52 PM

You are welcome guys.

I am thinking I will need to review/test the Rode Mics sometime this year because they seem to have just grown in popularity over the past year or so. When I wrote the last mic article, the Rodes were still kind of "underground". Also, Ty recommended the Audix SC-1 that I would like to try as well. Did try to obtain the AKG Blueline mics but they would not cooperate.

I shot at a movie premier last night with my HPX170 with the Audio Technica AT875r mounted on camera. I was working alone and managed to shoot red carpet interviews. I had the camera about a foot from the actors and the audio was totally usable. Didn't sound as good as it would from a boom, but for a noisy, crazy situation like a typical red carpet setup, it worked out really well.

This cheap little mic continues to impress me every time I use it.

Dan

Jay Gladwell January 16th, 2009 02:52 PM

Dan, the NTG-3 will be a VERY pleasant surprise!

Josh Swan January 16th, 2009 03:11 PM

At897

The AT897 was a friends of mine, he let me borrow it for a while. I am purchasing a mic so I didn't know if you guys had any thoughts on different ones.

Jon Braeley January 16th, 2009 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 996030)
You are welcome guys.

I am thinking I will need to review/test the Rode Mics sometime this year because they seem to have just grown in popularity over the past year or so. When I wrote the last mic article, the Rodes were still kind of "underground". Also, Ty recommended the Audix SC-1 that I would like to try as well. Did try to obtain the AKG Blueline mics but they would not cooperate.

I shot at a movie premier last night with my HPX170 with the Audio Technica AT875r mounted on camera. I was working alone and managed to shoot red carpet interviews. I had the camera about a foot from the actors and the audio was totally usable. Didn't sound as good as it would from a boom, but for a noisy, crazy situation like a typical red carpet setup, it worked out really well.

Dan

I got the AT875 last year - initially as a small 'travel' option for my remote shoots where taking tons of gear is not an option. I also take along the AT4035a.
These two mics are amazing - especially the AT875 for the money. I find myself using these all the time.

Jack Walker January 16th, 2009 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 996030)
You are welcome guys.

cooperate.

I shot at a movie premier last night with my HPX170 with the Audio Technica AT875r mounted on camera....

Dan

After reading Dan's review, and wanting a small, good quality shotgun, I bought an AT875R.

For on camera, travel, impromptu boom/clip and other uses, this mic is great.

There is nothing like it considering size, price, sound, low-handling noise, and versatility:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r_Shotgun.html

Mike Leah January 16th, 2009 05:22 PM

Slightly off topic but, How good is the schoeps cmit 5u? The clips that i have heard of it sound really good. Is there anything better in the similar pricerange?

Jack Walker January 16th, 2009 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Leah (Post 996134)
Slightly off topic but, How good is the schoeps cmit 5u? The clips that i have heard of it sound really good. Is there anything better in the similar pricerange?

Here's a review in Mix Magazine:
Schoeps CMIT 5 U shotgun mic in Mix magazine product review of the Schoeps CMIT 5U shotgun microphone

It has been very popular in Hollywood.

Dan Brockett January 16th, 2009 11:41 PM

If I did sound for a living, the CMIT5u and the CMC641 would be the basis of my audio kit, period. CMIT5u is amazing, there are lots of samples I recorded with it in the article if you want to hear how it sounds.

A good old sales adage, "you will never regret buying the best."

I am seeing the CMIT5u on lots of features and television shows that I shoot on. Good stuff.

Dan

Bruce S. Yarock January 18th, 2009 05:54 AM

I've always had excellent results with my AT 897. I've used it for 4 years, in all kinds of situations, and it has never let me down.
Bruce Yarock
Yarock Video and Photo

Marco Leavitt January 19th, 2009 10:29 PM

CMIT5u is awesome, but I don't know if it's really directional enough to be your only shotgun. I worked on a feature in which the CMIT5u and the Sanken CS3e were both available, and I used the Sanken most of the time.