Mic input on Samsung's VP-MHX20C at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 22nd, 2009, 05:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Mic input on Samsung's VP-MHX20C

I have quite a few mics, including an Oktava MK 012 kit, an AKG dynamic reporter's mic, a really really lovely DPA 4061 lavaliere mic with adaptors for P48 balanced and for the dual-channel Audio Technica 1800 (which itself came with two pretty decent lav mics, AT899cW). Oh, and the Rode NTG-2 shotgun.

What's the easiest way to connect them? I'm thinking it won't make a massive lot of difference, as the audio this camera makes seems to have quite a bit of hiss on it, though obviously, a separate mic can be placed closer, so maybe the automatic gain (which this camera must have, even though it provides nearly no audio controls) would slacken off and lower the hiss?

The NTG-2 might be my best bet, for outdoors anyway, since it can be fitted with an AA battery instead of needing phantom power. But I still need to go from balanced to unbalanced.

The wireless might be a solution, because it also means not needing a boom operator- if I'm out and using this camera as my primary, it means I'm going light. If I have all my kit with me, I'd use my Tascam HD-P2 recorder, instead. Also, the receiver has built-in attenuation (a feature shockingly lacking from the camera). It also doesn't require phantom power. I might even get away with using the headphone output, but that would leave me with no way of monitoring the sound, plus, the output is not cleanly amplified, A-T obviously spent the budget on the balanced outputs instead- and yes, I'd rather have it that way around!

Thoughts, anyone? Is anyone even using the mic input?
Phil Bambridge is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio