Sony wireless mic frequency question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 29th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Paul,
If you want to take that approach, the same could be said of every wireless maker except AT. I own AT wireless that are on those frequencies. Should I complain to them? I bought them over ten years ago.

Regards,

TY Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #17
Trustee

I got about 10 hours on mine.
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Here's Sennheiser's rebate program.

Trew Audio: Sennheiser's 700MHz Wireless Mic Rebate

Interestingly, they are applying it to non-Sennheiser brands as well, presumably to grab even more market share.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt View Post
Here's Sennheiser's rebate program.

Trew Audio: Sennheiser's 700MHz Wireless Mic Rebate

Interestingly, they are applying it to non-Sennheiser brands as well, presumably to grab even more market share.

Since my system was from Sony who do I buy the Sennheiser system from and at least get the flat rebate of $40? That would be $80 and would help a little with the new purchase.

Thanks for all the excellent advise that we recieve on this forum

Ronnie Martin
Page 1
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
I understand your point, but I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. People who bought wireless lav from Sony had a right to expect they were not simply "renting". Thes mics were squatting on bandwith that were not desginated for such a purpose and now the consumer is left holding the bag. The so-called trade-in programs are inadequate IMO and I would not be surprised to see a class action suit.
Actually they were designated for such uses - specifically that band was allocated to analog broadcast television and unlicensed low-power devices were specifcally allowed within the vacant frequencies between channels in a given area. It's been legal for years, until the FCC decided to change the allocations. Hasn't been the first time they've redone the rules - the present 11 meter CB band was previously assigned to ham radio until sometime in the early 60's, for example.
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #21
Trustee

If that's the case, then I agree that my frsutration may be misplaced. I was under the impression that the manufacturers of these devices acted alone. Thanks.
Old January 30th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Martin View Post
It appears that the digital switch is coming either next month or later. My Sony UWP C1 set up transmits in the 758-806 MHz section of the band. I researched the new digital spectrum in my state and there is not a TV station proposed in this part of the spectrum.

Will I still be allowed or able to use my wireless set up?.. When I contacted Sony they were not longer offering wireless transmitters and on camera receivers working on this part of the band. I asked if they could be converted to a lower frequency and they said that they did not offer this service. To replace my wireless setup with a lower frequency set will be right at $1,000 from B&H.

Thanks
Ronnie Martin
Page 1
Ronnie,

Now that all of this has been hashed out, my advice is to keep doing what you're doing.
The 798-806 frequencies have not be designated solely to emergency service. Nobody knows who will win those auctions and how widespread the use of any particular frequencies will be.

It may take hours, months or years until the spectrum near you is used. Be a good citizen and keep up on the subject. If it looks bad then consider changing. The first DTV signals on the air in, (was it Dallas or Houston) came on the air and screwed up the wireless heart monitors at a major hospital. What a shock! The station powered down for a fgew days until the hospital could sort it out and get off the frequency of the DTV station.

Anecdotes will continue.

Regards,

Ty Ford

PS: To live outside the law you must be honest - Bob Dylan
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #23
Regular Crew

The only problem is that this spectrum 700 and up is designated as emergency frequency and there are really no TV stations in this part of the band. If the FCC finds you transmitting on this frequency they will prosecute you. I don't know what the fine is but from what I have seen in the past with the FCC it could be rather large and not worth the risk. I have an Extra Class Ham License and what usually happens if you get into trouble with them they revoke your other FCC licenses also. It is just not worth the risk.

Thanks for all you suggestions

Ronnie Martin
Page 1
Old January 30th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #24
Major Player

Seems like a very small part of that spectrum could have been kept open for the old electronic stuff out there, so even if the selection of frequencies would not be as great, the stuff would not be 100% obsolete.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen Rath View Post
Seems like a very small part of that spectrum could have been kept open for the old electronic stuff out there, so even if the selection of frequencies would not be as great, the stuff would not be 100% obsolete.
Well you are being logical but logic and common sense died long long ago.

Take care

Ronnie

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio